- Consistently ranked as a top-ten best value in the South by U.S. News & World Report
- More than 3,100 students on three campuses
- Comprehensive, co-educational
- Students come from 33 countries
- Bachelor’s degrees – Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Liberal Studies
- 35 undergraduate majors and 37 minors
- Most popular undergraduate programs of study:
pre-pharmacy, pre-physician assistant, biology, business management, nursing, sport management, psychology
- Master’s degrees – Accounting, Business, Education, Physician Assistant Studies, Sport Management
- Doctoral degrees – Education, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy
- Total graduate enrollment (master's and doctoral programs) in the past decade increased 480 percent
- International study opportunities
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 15:1
- More than 50 registered student organizations including fraternities, sororities, academic clubs, honor societies, service organizations, intramural sports and student government
- 22 NCAA Division II teams
- Men’s sports: baseball, basketball, cross-country, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, swimming and diving, track and field
- Women’s teams: basketball, cross-country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, volleyball, track and field
- Main campus: Wingate, N.C., 30 miles southeast of Charlotte, N.C. on Highway 74 (traditional undergraduate programs, master of accounting, master of physician assistant studies, doctor of pharmacy, doctor of physical therapy)
- Wingate University Ballantyne: Charlotte, N.C. at Johnston Road and Ballantyne Commons Parkway (adult bachelor's degree completion, MBA, master of arts in sport management, master's and doctoral degrees and licensures in education)
- Wingate University Hendersonville: Hendersonville, N.C. (MBA, master of physican assistant studies, doctor of pharmacy)
Achievements and Awards
- Wingate University is consistently listed 10th among Best Value colleges and universities in the South based on quality and net cost, according to the ranking of the nation’s top schools in U.S. News & World Report.
- Wingate is the only school in North Carolina and one of only 17 in the nation to score an "A" (highest awarded) rating on its core curriculum based on a survey by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni.
- South Atlantic Conference Echols Athletic Excellence Award (2007-2015)
- Wingate University is ranked first among NCAA Division II Academic All-America®-producing schools during this millennium. Wingate also has the highest number of Academic All-America® honorees in North Carolina since 2000, ranked ahead of Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Wingate University School of Pharmacy graduates consistently score above the state and national averages on licensing exams.
- Wingate University is consistently recognized as one of America's Top Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities.
- Winner of the NCAA Division II Community Engagement Award of Excellence (2011)
- Speakers who have visited: Condoleezza Rice, President Jimmy Carter, T. Boone Pickens, Margaret Thatcher, the Dalai Lama, Kofi Annan, Senator Robert Dole, Madeleine Albright, Garrison Keillor
- Notable alumni:
Leon Levine, founder of Family Dollar
Anthony Dean Griffey, four-time Grammy Award-winning singer with the Metropolitan Opera
Allen Thomas, director of conditioning, Chicago White Sox
Patrik Henry Bass, editorial projects director, Essence Magazine
Lorinza "Junior" Harrington, former NBA player
Edward Walker, interior designer from “Trading Spaces”
Luke Mulholland, professional soccer player
About President Rhett Brown
Dr. T. Rhett Brown has been actively involved in the evolution of Wingate University since his arrival as a transfer student in 1986. Dr. Brown earned a Bachelor of Arts in English from the school in 1989 when it was still Wingate College, received his Master of Business Administration from Wingate in 2001 and received his Doctor of Education from the University of Alabama.
Dr. Brown has served as Wingate's vice president for student life and enrollment services, dean of enrollment management, associate dean of students, and director of the office of career services. Dr. Brown was chosen as Wingate University's tenth president in 2015 after a nationwide search. Dr. Brown succeeded Dr. Jerry McGee, who retired after 23 years as Wingate's president. Dr. McGee was the longest-serving college president in North Carolina.
Colleagues of Dr. Brown describe him as "visionary," "a consensus builder," "an inspirational leader" and "someone who makes every person feel welcomed and valued."
A native of Pelion, South Carolina, he is married with two children.