Office of Academic Advising

Wingate University Academic Advising Mission
At Wingate University, Academic Advising educates and empowers students with the resources, knowledge, and experiences that will enable them to successfully develop interdependence and achieve realistic academic and professional goals that will prepare them to be ethical, global citizens.

Academic Advising Goals

 Success Coach Advisors and Faculty Advisors at Wingate University are committed to the following:

  • Providing students a supportive relationship to assist in their transition from high school to the university environment.
  • Assisting students in developing an educational plan consistent with their lifelong learning and career goals and objectives.
  • Assisting students in evaluating and/or reevaluating progress toward established educational and career goals and objectives.
  • Providing accurate information regarding institutional policies, procedures, resources, and programs.

Academic Advising Policies and Procedures

Academic Advising
Undergraduate academic advising is coordinated by the Director of Academic Advising, Mrs. Emily Poplin. The Director’s primary role includes serving as an academic advising consultant to faculty and students, maintaining the assignment process of students to Success Coach & Faculty Advisors, conducting academic advising training and development, informing the campus of advising activities and resources, and evaluating the academic advising process and structure of the campus. 

All students are assigned to either a Success Coach Advisor (First Year students only) or Faculty Advisor who assists them in planning their academic programs. Advisors meet with their student advisees periodically throughout the year and help them develop goals and plans to meet degree requirements. While Advisors have resources to aid students in academic planning, the responsibility for meeting the requirements of a specific degree ultimately rests with the individual student.

Advisor Assignments
Advisor assignments are made by the Office of Academic Advising, located in the Academic Resource Center, 2nd floor of the EKS Library. Most entering First Year students are assigned to a Success Coach Advisor, although not all new First Year students are assigned to a Success Coach Advisor. First Year students not assigned to a Success Coach Advisor and new Transfer students are assigned to a faculty advisor within their specific major. If not assigned to a Success Coach Advisor, students without a declared major are assigned to a faculty advisor who specializes in advising students who are exploring majors and careers. Readmitted students are advised by the faculty advisor originally assigned to them or will be reassigned to a new faculty advisor if they change their major.

Declaration of Major
New Freshmen and Transfer students indicate their intended majors on their admissions applications. Unless a student requests his major be changed, the major indicated on the application is the students’ officially declared major in the university student information system.

Change of Major, Minor or Advisor
Students who desire to change majors, minors or degree can consult with various Wingate resources to determine the best options for their educational and career goals. Resources include: their current Success Coach or faculty advisor, a faculty member in potential “new” majors/minors, the Office of Career Services & Internships and the Director of Academic Advising. “Major Check Sheets” and “Four Year Academic Plans” are available for review through the MyGate online portal.

Once a student has identified a new major, minor or degree, he should complete the "Major/Minor or Advisor Change Form" located in myGate under the Academic Advising tab. If the student is changing his major, he will likely be re-assigned to a faculty advisor within the new major or a liaison advisor working closely with the new major. The former and new faculty advisors will be notified via email of the student’s change of major/advisor and the former advisor will forward the student's advising records to the new advisor.


Frequently Asked Questions

I have been assigned to a Success Coach Advisor.  Do I also have a Faculty Advisor?
No, your Success Coach Advisor is your primary academic advisor throughout your First Year. A Success Coach Advisor will assist you throughout your First Year as a friend, mentor and academic advisor. Success Coach Advisors serve as the primary source of information about your major and degree requirements, career development and other issues specific to your chosen major and career field. Likewise, they additionally serve as a source of information about campus resources, academic support, transition to college, and other related topics. Students meet with their assigned Success Coach Advisors every other week and are required to meet with them immediately prior to course registration each semester. Students are reassigned to a Faculty Advisor within their major college/department in their Sophomore year.


I am a Pre-Pharmacy major.  Who is my academic advisor?
All pre-pharmacy students are assigned to the designated Pre-Pharmacy Advisor in the School of Pharmacy. Students will remain assigned to the Pre-Pharmacy Advisor as long as they remain a declared pre-pharmacy major. Once students are admitted to the Pharmacy program, they will be reassigned to a Faculty Advisor in the School of Pharmacy. If a pre-pharmacy student changes his major, he will be reassigned to a Faculty Advisor in the new major.


What is English 100 and who should take it?
English 100 (3 credit hours) is “an introduction to expository prose and study of writing expectations” in a University setting (Academic Catalog). The course prepares students for higher level English composition and writing intensive courses. The course is required of students who do not meet the minimum combined SAT writing and verbal scores. Students enrolled in ENG 100 must earn a grade of D or better (a grade of C or better is recommended) to progress into English 110. English 100 will fulfill a general elective requirement toward degree completion.


What is the University CORE curriculum?
The University CORE curriculum is “built around the skills needed to thrive in the 21st century” (Academic Catalog) and is required for all Bachelor degrees. It includes various components such as the Global Perspectives (GPS courses), Foreign Language, English composition, Fine Arts, Mathematics, Laboratory Science, Social/Behavioral Sciences, Literature, Physical Education, GATE 101 and the Lyceum program. Students must complete all CORE curriculum requirements for graduation.


Can any courses in my major also fulfill the University CORE requirements?
Yes, oftentimes courses required in a major will also fulfill the various components of the CORE curriculum such as Math, Lab Science, and Social/Behavioral Science. Students should consult with their advisor to confirm how major courses may “overlap” with University CORE requirements and avoid unnecessarily completing courses.


What is a Minor and can Minor courses apply to my Major as well?
A minor is a concentration of classes (typically 18 credit hours) that compliments the declared major. Students are not required to declare a minor. A maximum of 2 classes can apply to both your major and minor.  Exceptions are made for Biology and Chemistry combinations. Students should consult the Academic Catalog for the courses required to complete a specific minor. Students can declare a Minor in the Office of Academic Advising & Support, Academic Resource Center.


I transferred courses to Wingate from another school or I have AP credit. How do I know if I received credit for them?
Students with transfer credit from another institution or AP credit will receive a transfer credit evaluation from the Registrar’s office. Students can also view their transfer & AP credit on their “unofficial transcript” on their WinLink Self Service account. Questions about transfer or AP credit evaluation should be directed to the Registrar’s office on the 2nd floor of the Stegall Building.


How do I know what math courses to take to satisfy the CORE and major requirements?
Many majors require specific Math courses and sometimes these courses also apply to the CORE Mathematics requirement. MATH 115 is the minimum Math class that applies to the CORE Math requirement. Students should review their major checksheet and consult with their advisor to ensure they are completing the appropriate Math course(s) for their degree. Students should consider their competency in Math before attempting advanced courses like MATH 117 (Business Calculus), 120 (Calculus & Analytic Geometry) or 209 (Inferential Statistics). Math placement tests are offered during New Student Summer Orientation to determine the appropriate level of Math a student is prepared to attempt.


What lab sciences are available for non-science majors?
Some majors include a specific lab science requirement:
Athletic Training, Physical Education, Psychology – Biology 120
Elementary Education and Middle Grades Education – Science 201 & 202

Other non-science majors can take the following courses to fulfill their CORE lab science requirement:
Biology 107 – Plants & People
Biology 115 – Environmental Biology
Biology 120 – Human Biology
Biology 140 – Human Genetics
Chemistry 100 – Fundamentals of Chemistry
Physics  201 – Principles of Physics I
Science 101 – Earth Science
Science 201 – General Science I*
Science 202 – General Science II*
*Non-education majors must have permission from the School of Education to enroll in Science 201 or 202.
Due to heavy student demand, Biology 150 & Chemistry 101 are intended for Biology, Chemistry, Nursing and other science-related majors.


When should I take my lab science?
Science-related majors generally take lab science courses every semester. Non-science majors can complete their lab science course(s) in any semester. First Year students (non-science majors) should consider if it’s best to wait a semester or a year before attempting college-level lab science. Student-athletes should take lab science courses during the “off-season” semester since science labs often occur in late afternoon or evening and potentially interfere with athletic practice/training.


Is foreign language required for my degree?
Yes, all degrees require foreign language since it’s included in the University CORE curriculum. The Bachelor of Science degree requires elementary foreign language (101 & 102). The Bachelor of Arts degree additionally requires intermediate foreign language (201 & 202). Wingate foreign language placement testing can allow a student to exempt some levels of language. No credit hours are granted due to placement testing. Any student who places out of 3 to 12 credit hours of foreign language is required to replace those credit hours with other course credit hours. Students who have completed the equivalency of a U.S. high school diploma at a school at which the primary language of instruction is not English are exempt from the foreign language requirement.


What is the difference between “general” and “advanced” electives?
An “elective” is a course a student completes that is not required for the University CORE or the major. That is, a student “elects” to take an elective course. Some majors provide specific elective course options. Elective courses still apply to the minimum 125 credit hours required for graduation.  In order to graduate from Wingate, students must complete 40+ credit hours at the 300 & 400 level – these courses are known as “advanced” courses. Any 300/400 level “elective” course completed is considered an “advanced elective” since it applies to the 40+ credit hours requirement. The 100 & 200 level elective courses are considered “general” electives since they do not apply to the 40+ credit hours requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine if they need to complete elective courses and, if so, how many elective hours need to be “advanced” (300/400 level).


Does a W’International trip and seminar apply to my degree graduation requirements?
Yes, W’International is considered an “advanced elective” toward degree requirements. A student is eligible to participate in W’International when they have between 57 and 86 earned credit hours (Junior standing).


Am I allowed to take classes at another school during the summer?
Yes, you can take summer school classes at another college or university. This is considered “transient study”. However, the following stipulations apply:

  • You must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Wingate.
  • You must complete the Transient Study form (available on the “Forms” tab through MyGate) prior to completing the courses at the other institution.
  • You cannot repeat a class that has already been attempted at Wingate.
  • The last 30 credit hours of a degree must be completed at Wingate University.