The first year of college is a time of change, adjustment and excitement. At Wingate University, we want our first-year students to enjoy a smooth, successful transition to college life.
Declaring a major, scheduling classes, adjusting to residence hall life, selecting meal plans, choosing to go Greek: You’re going to learn a lot about life and yourself during your first year of college.
Fortunately, Wingate University provides guidance and feedback at every step beginning with your acceptance:
Academic Advisers and Success Coaches
Declaring a major is serious stuff. We get that. We empower you with supportive guidance and information as you navigate the first year of classes, papers and exams.
Are you a freshman pre-pharmacy or music student? Full-time faculty members in these majors (and others) serve as your academic adviser from day one and guide you with the following:
- Planning your degree
- Looking for internship and career opportunities
- Scheduling classes
- Other issues important to you
About half of the first-year students are assigned a success coach, who collaborates with campus offices and departments to help ensure you succeed. Your success coach will interact with you via these methods:
- Group advising sessions
- One-on-one meetings
- Regular updates via e-mail and social posting
- The optional learning strategies course
Undeclared Isn’t a Bad Thing
During the first year of college, many students are still figuring out what interests them academically, and that’s OK. Your success coach can help you explore your opportunities and options. Check out these resources for more information:
A Well-Rounded Experience
While your ultimate goal is to graduate in a field that interests you, we also want you to enjoy a well-rounded Wingate experience. You’re here to Major in a Great Life after all, so make sure you:
- Actively support Bulldog athletics on the field, pitch and court
- Enroll in Gateway 101, where first-year students learn the tools of success
- Expand your horizons by attending Lyceum Series events
- Get a jump on campus life by participating in orientation
- Read a book, meet the author and rub elbows with faculty during WiRE events
Your first year is an exciting time. We hope you’ll take full advantage of everything Wingate University offers you.