FAQs & Glossary

Financial Aid Calculator
Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for VA benefits?

All applications are submitted by the veteran through the Department of Veteran Affairs website, www.gibill.va.gov. Go to this website for the online application: http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp.

2. What documentation does the school need? 

  • A copy of the online application submitted to Veteran Affairs
  • A copy of your DD214 or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility for Selected Reserve or REAP)
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Transcripts from all schools attended including high school for undergraduate and graduate students
3. How soon will I receive my benefits?
You will begin to receive your benefits 8-10 weeks after the Regional Processing Office (RPO) in Atlanta has received the enrollment certification submitted the Certifying Official.

4. How do I continue to get paid each semester?
The Certifying Official checks enrollment at the beginning of each semester for veteran students and processes the enrollment certification to the RPO.

5. Will the payments come directly to me?
Payment will be made directly to the student using CH 30, 1606, 1607, and 35.  Students using Post-9/11 benefits receive a monthly housing allowance, but the tuition and fees payment is sent directly to the school.

6. How do I contact Veterans Affairs?
The toll-free number is 1-888-GIBILL-1 or the website is www.gibill.va.gov.


For FSA purposes, such as determining dependency status, a veteran is a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces who served on active duty (other than for training purposes) and was discharged other than dishonorably.

Veterans Affairs (VA)   
The federal agency responsible for administering and managing the education, health care and financial assistance benefits of U.S. veterans and their families. The CPS conducts a match of FAFSA data against this agency's database to confirm the student's veteran status.