Grant and Loan Information

Federal Pell Grants
A Federal Pell Grant is a need-based grant that does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. (A professional degree would include a degree in a field such as medicine, law or dentistry.)

To determine whether you're eligible financially, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the information you report when you apply for Federal Aid. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) contains this number and will tell you if you're eligible.

How much you receive will depend not only on your EFC, but also on your cost of attendance, your enrollment status and whether you attend school for a full academic year or less. You may not receive Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Lending Program
The Federal Direct Loan Program allows students and parents to borrow educational loans directly from the federal government. Visit for more information about Federal Direct Subsidized, Federal Direct Unsubsidized, Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Parents, and/or Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Graduate Students.  Please Note: You will need your FAFSA pin number to log in. (If you do not remember your FAFSA PIN, you can obtain a duplicate online at

2013-2014 Interest Rates

Subsidized/Unsubsidized: 6.8% Fixed

Applying for a Federal Direct Student Loan

New and Continuing Students
  • Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Direct Loan eligibility will be determined by the Wingate University Office of Student Financial Planning and included on your 2013-2014 Financial Aid Award Letter.
  • Complete and return the Undergraduate/Graduate Loan Confirmation Form. 
New Borrows
Not Applicable to student's who utilized the Federal Direct Lending Program during the 2012-2013 Academic Year.
  • Visit to complete the following loan documents:
    • Undergraduate/Graduate Student Loan Entrance Counseling
    • Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Master Promissory Note 
Alternative Loans
Alternative Loans may be a more preferred option for you. Lenders generally make available alternative student loans to help fill the gap between the financial aid you receive and the money you still need. These loans are available to creditworthy students, or students with creditworthy co-borrowers. Please visit the link below for up-to-date borrower benefits, interest rates and other information for Alternative loans.

By reviewing the lender websites, you may obtain applications and get more specific information regarding some of the lenders that Wingate University students have historically used.  You can also compare interest rates, borrower benefits and fees that may be associated with making the loan.

Federal law requires colleges to certify federal education loans using the borrower's choice of lender and the guarantee agency used by that lender. Based upon this law, you can choose any lender, including one that may not appear on the list provided.

To apply for an alternative loan please visit