Main academic page
Academic calendar
Academic Catalog
FAQs on Academic Record Access
Academic Standards

Academic Resource Center
The Wingate University Academic Resource Center (ARC) is dedicated to helping students meet their academic goals. Within the ARC, students will find the offices of Academic Advising, Gateway 101, Disability Services, Tutoring Services and the Writing Center. Students are encouraged to make use of the many services available through the ARC, which is located on the 2nd floor of the Ethel K. Smith Library. The ARC staff includes:

Office of Academic Advising
Mr. John Sugg
Director of Academic Advising and Support

Ms. Linda Stedje-Larsen, Ed.S.
Director of Support Services

Mr. Kevin Winchester
Director of the Writing Center

Ms. Mandy Phifer
Assistant to the Academic Resource Center

The Office of Student Success
The Office of Student Success promotes success of the overall educational experience by helping students get connected to Wingate University faculty and staff with whom they build positive and lasting relationships. The Office of Student Success is dedicated to the notion that all students are important and deserve the chance to succeed. Our goal is to make sure students and families feel supported and then guide them to the personnel who can best work to assist them. Student Success also helps to develop individualized “success plans” for students in need and coordinates campus retention efforts.

Ms. Kristin Wharton
Assistant Dean for Student Life or

Ms. Carol Whitley
Assistant Director of Retention

The Ethel K. Smith Library
The Ethel K. Smith (EKS) Library maintains a collection to support the learning experiences of the students and the teaching and research activities of the faculty and staff of Wingate University. The primary focus of the collection is on materials that serve the undergraduate curricula, but as graduate programs increase the Library will endeavor to support those programs with appropriate additions to the collection. In aid of this mission, the Library provides access to a number of online research databases and to an online catalog of the more than 102,000 volumes housed in the facility.

The EKS Library’s database subscriptions provide students with online access to a variety of scholarly journal and newspaper titles beyond the Library’s print holdings. These holdings span from general academic resources to discipline-specific, scholarly journals, etc. In order to expand offerings, the EKS Library’s InterLibrary Loan Department enables students to access research materials from a world-wide array of academic and research institutions.

A variety of study options are available in the EKS Library including individual study carrels in the Quiet Room, several group study spaces, and general areas for individual or group work. For those who bring their laptops to the EKS Library, Wireless LAN access and wet carrels are available in several areas of the facility, including the Ethel K. Café coffee shop on the first floor. The building also includes an electronic instruction lab equipped with computers for interactive teaching, which students may employ for assignment research, specialized software packages, and personal use when the room is not reserved for class.

The EKS Library is staffed with highly trained, professional librarians available to assist students in their research endeavors and to instruct individuals or entire classes in the most effective and efficient research applications available in today’s academic library. The computer commons in the Reference Department is specifically designed for the purpose of such instruction, with the goal of cultivating a basic, inter-disciplinary, transferable skill set regarding applied research. In person, phone, and online (instant messaging service entitled “Ask Ethel”) reference help is available to all Wingate students. Individual appointments with a Reference Librarian are available. To inquire about this service, contact the Reference Desk at or 704-233-8097.

Please visit for more information on the EKS Library.

Ethel K. Smith - Library Circulation Desk

FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The same laws that give parents and students access to and control over a child’s educational records during elementary and high school transfer ownership of the records to the student at the college level.

According to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as the Buckley Amendment), college students are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. Under this law, parents who want to receive a copy of their student’s academic or financial records can do so if their student signs a “Student Waiver of FERPA for the Release of Educational Information to Parents” form located in the Office of the Registrar.

Please be aware that certain offices and departments within the Wingate University community may handle your questions differently based on the office or department. Wingate University reserves the right to notify parents or legal guardians of any issue which may jeopardize the curricular or co-curricular success of a student. The University community encourages student decision-making, participation and leadership within their experience in an effort to promote individual growth and development. However, in some instances parental involvement may be necessary. Please be aware that the University practices the sharing of information in a manner consistent with applicable law, as we also seek to help students be successful in all areas of their life.

Frequently Asked Questions About Access to Student Records
Are there release forms that would give me access to grades and financial information?
Students can obtain a copy of the “Student Waiver of FERPA for the Release of Educational Information to Parents” form from the Office of the Registrar, on the 2nd floor of the Stegall Administration Building. The student must sign the waiver and identify who is eligible to receive information.

Can I get a copy of my student’s grades?
The quickest and easiest way for parents to receive information about their student’s grades, financial statement, or other student information is for the student to provide it. Students can look up information online, print it off, and give or e-mail a copy to their parents. Student records are available at the student WinLINK web site via a username and password. Parents can, however, receive information about their student’s records if the student agrees to share his or her WinLINK access with them.

If I’m paying for my child’s education, why can’t I get a copy of his/her records?
FERPA requires that access to a college student’s records must be granted by approval of the student. Parents can, however, receive information about their student’s records if the student agrees to share his or her WinLINK access with them. Parents also can receive information about their student’s record if they submit documentation that the student is a dependent (this applies only to students 24 years old or younger). Proof is considered to be a copy of the most recent year’s federal tax form showing that the parent claims the student as a dependent.

My student provided me with access to his/her records during Student Orientation. Will I receive a copy of his/her grades after fall semester?
Student grade reports are not automatically mailed to students at the end of the semester. Students must submit a “Request for Grades” form to the Office of the Registrar each semester in order to receive a mailed copy of their grades. Student grades are available online via WinLINK.

How can I get copies of the bills for tuition, room and board, and fees? They seem to be going to my student.
Wingate University mails all bills for tuition, room and board and fees to the student at their home address. If you have questions regarding a statement, you may contact the Business Office at 704.233.8211. Students also have access to view their account information on-line using WinLINK.

Will I be contacted if my student is sick or hurt? What if my child is in academic trouble, or facing disciplinary action?

In most cases, the University will not contact parents or provide medical, academic, or disciplinary information without the student’s permission. In the case of an emergency, or if the University deems that contacting parents is in the best interest of the student’s overall success, parents may be contacted. As a general guideline, if the student is able to communicate about the situation, it is up to the student to decide whether and how to discuss the issues.

The parent access doesn’t include a check-off so that I can have access to my student’s medical and counseling records. Why not?
The “Waiver for Release of Information to Parents” covers only those records defined as “educational” by FERPA regulations. These include: grades, finances, and discipline records. Physical and mental health records are not “educational” and therefore covered by other University policies, federal and state laws, and professional ethics. In general, professionals working in these areas will not release student information except in emergency situations. Students can choose to release information from these records to a third party, but they may want to release information on a case-by-case basis. Medical records are governed by HIPAA and counseling records are governed by client – therapist confidentiality.

Where can I find out more about FERPA?
The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the department’s web site for additional information:

Are there other resources I might need to know about?
Wingate University contracts with each student on policies and procedures via the catalogue and the Student Handbook.

A portion of this information has been adapted with permission from the University of Minnesota Parent Program.

Academic Standards (probation/hours & GPA)
Credit hours
In general, the number of credit hours awarded for each class is determined by how often and how long the class meets over the course of a semester. Courses are commonly worth three credit hours.

Grade points
Students are evaluated continually during the semester and grades are assigned at the conclusion of the course. Final examinations are given on work covered during the entire semester. The following grading symbols are recorded:

Note: Minus(-) or plus(+) signs may be attached to each grade of “A”, “B”, “C”, and “D”, but these signs do not affect the quality points assigned for those grades. Grades of "W" or "P" do not affect the GPA. An “I” is considered an “F” until the work is completed, and replaced with the appropriate grade.

Graduation Requirements
To receive a Bachelor’s degree from Wingate University, a student must meet the following requirements.
  • Complete 125 semester hours of course work
  • Complete the requirements of the core curriculum
  • Complete a major course of studies
  • Complete at least 40 semester hours numbered 300 or above*
  • Maintain a 2.00 cumulative GPA (grade point average) on all university-level work and a 2.00 cumulative GPA in each major
  • Complete the last 30 hours of course work before graduation at Wingate University
  • File a graduation application with the Registrar

Except in the biology major, which requires a minimum of 37 semester hours in courses numbered 300 or above.

Note: All financial obligations to Wingate University must be met before the diploma and/or final transcript will be released to the student.

Academic Probation
To assist students in maintaining satisfactory progress, Wingate University has adopted academic standards to identify students who are experiencing academic difficult so that they can take advantage of timely interventions through academic support services. Academic probation is an indication of serious academic difficulty and is determined by the cumulative GPA that a student earns on credit courses.

At the conclusion of a semester, the Vice President for Academic Affairs will notify the student by mail if the cumulative GPA is below the minimum. In such a case, the student will be placed on academic probation for the next regular semester and enrolled in the Applied Learning Strategies Seminar. Probation is determined only from permanent grades at the conclusion of a regular semester; mid-semester, progress reports are not included in GPA calculations. Note: A student must have a 2.00 cumulative GPA to qualify for the baccalaureate degree. The following chart lists the minimum cumulative GPA requirements.

Hours Attempted (plus transfer credit)         GPA
1-23                                                          1.60
24-56                                                        1.80
57 or above                                                2.00

Academic Suspension
A student who is on academic probation at the end of two successive regular semesters will be academically ineligible for the next semester. A student who makes less than a 1.0 GPA in any given semester will be ineligible to enroll for the next semester.

A student who is academically ineligible who wishes to apply for reinstatement should send a written appeal to the Office of Student Success, to request further review of his or her academic records and academic eligibility.

A student must be in good academic standing to be eligible to take courses at another school on a transient basis, therefore, any courses taken at another college or university, while the student is on academic suspension will not transfer back to Wingate University.

Temporary Leave of Absence
To be granted a temporary leave of absence (TLA), a student must submit documentation from a qualified professional to the Office of Student Success. The Office of Student Success will recommend to the Vice President for Academic Affairs whether a leave of absence or withdrawal is appropriate. For students who are granted a leave of absence for medical reasons, the Office of Student Success will require documentation from a health-care provider indicating the student is prepared to return to Wingate.

A temporary leave of absence provides the student with the right to return to the University (in the semester following the leave of absence) without re-application. The student will be allowed to register for University courses at the time designated for his or her class (i.e., junior, senior, etc.). Students who are granted a TLA are subject to all University refund/repayment policies. Questions about Title IV student loan deferment (i.e., Federal Stafford Loan) while on a temporary leave of absence should be addressed to the Office of Financial Planning.

Involuntary Withdrawal
In certain cases, a student may forfeit academic responsibility during a semester by:

  • persistent failure to complete classroom assignments,
  • habitual class absence, and/or
  • disruption and disturbance of fellow students.

In such cases, the student may be required to withdraw from the University. The Office of Student Success will investigate cases of forfeiture of academic responsibility in consultation with the Student Success Team (representatives from Academic Affairs, Business Affairs, Student Life, Athletics, and Enrollment Management). The Student Success Team may recommend involuntary withdrawal of the student to the Office of Student Life. The Office of Student Life will determine if withdrawal is appropriate after meeting with the student. Appeals of involuntary withdrawals may be made to the Office of Student Life within 48 hours of notification of the withdrawal action. The decision of the Office of Student Life shall be final.

Voluntary Withdrawal
Any student voluntarily leaving the University before the close of the term must withdraw officially. The student initiates the withdrawal procedure with the Office of Student Success. The withdrawal form must be signed by the various University officials listed on the form. The withdrawal process is completed at the Business Office.

The deadline for withdrawal is listed on the academic calendar each semester. A student who withdraws by the deadline and has settled all accounts with the University will receive grades of “W” for the semester. A student who withdraws after the deadline will receive grades of “F” for the semester.

In cases where extenuating circumstance warrant it, a student may receive grades of “W” from the University after the deadline has passed. The student who wishes to make this appeal should submit a letter and any other supporting documentation to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs detailing the reason(s) for the request. If the appeal is accepted, the Registrar will change the semester grades from “F”s to “W”s. Appeals will only be considered for those students who complete the appeal process before the first day of the final exam period of the semester of voluntary withdrawal.

Students who have questions about withdrawing or would like to begin the withdrawal process should contact the Office of Student Success.

Withdrawal Instructions
Before the students leaves the University, he/she will need to stop by the following offices to tie up a few loose ends. Failure to attend to these matters could result in financial or academic holds.

STEP 1: Office of Student Success, Dickson-Palmer Center— Student Life Suite, 704-233-8366 or 8036

  • Exit Survey must be completed.
  • Withdrawal, temporary leave of absences, or non-returning form needs to be completed by Kristin Wharton, Assistant Dean of Student Life, or the designated alternate.

STEP 2: Registrar’s Office, Second Floor, Stegall Administration Building, 704-233-8006
For the withdrawal form, the registrar portion of the withdrawal form must be signed by Nicci Brown, Registrar, or the designated alternate. A student’s academic record will be updated to show the new status; grades of “W” will be assigned if withdrawing before the deadline.

STEP 3: Financial Planning, First Floor, Stegall Administration Building, 704-233-8209
If the student received a loan while attending Wingate University he/she must:

  • Visit the Financial Planning Office for federally required loan exit counseling.
  • If your student is withdrawing, the financial planning section of the withdrawal form must be signed by Teresa Williams, Director of Financial Planning.

STEP 4: Residence Life, Dickson-Palmer Center– Student Life Suite, 704-233-8245

  • The student will need to communicate a planned departure date and time to a staff member.
  • Turn in room keys.
  • Complete the Room Condition Form.
  • Find out if the student owes any charges for housing or the meal plan. If so, the student will be asked to settle his/her account in the business office before the withdrawal is complete.
  • Turn in ID card.
  • Provide a forwarding address to Cheryl Miller in the mailroom and return mail key.

* If the student is withdrawing, the housing section of the withdrawal form must be signed by Patrick Biggerstaff, Assistant Dean of Students & Director of Residence Life or the designated alternate.

STEP 5: Business Office, Second Floor, Stegall Administration Building, 704-233-8217
Make sure the correct forwarding address is provided.
* If the student is withdrawing, the Business Office section of the withdrawal form must be signed by Wynne Stegall, Student Accounts.

WinLINK is a set of on-line, web based services available to Wingate University students. WinLINK services include view access to student class schedules, grades, transcript information, address information, student account, financial aid, and housing information. Additional services include class openings, course descriptions, and an e-mail directory.

The web address for WinLINK can be found at To access individual student accounts, a log in and password must be entered.

Student Support Services
Student Success
Academic Resource Center
Counseling Services
Student Health

Academic Advising                           
Mandy Phifer/John Sugg                                           

Business Office                                
Laura Herrin

Campus Bookstore                           
Danny Key

Campus Recreation                          
Dei Reich

Campus Safety                                 
Mike Easley

Career Services  
Sharon Robinson

Community Standards                     
Michael Reynolds

Counseling Services                        
Jessica Hylton

EKSmith Library                               
Amee Odom

Financial Planning                           
Teresa Williams


Minister to Students                       
Dane Jordan

Fraternities and Sororities              
Diana Coyle

Brandy Shott

Lauren Marin

Student Life                                   
Glenda Bebber

Residence Life                               
Patrick Biggerstaff

Student Health                              
Sherrie McCaskill

Student Organizations                  
Diana Coyle

Student Success                            
Kristin Wharton/Carol Whitley

Student Support                            
Linda Stedje-Larsen

Success Coaching                          
Blythe Taylor