PharmD + MBA
Some pharmacy students are interested in differentiating their skill set with a graduate business degree. Others are interested in entering the business and senior management side of the pharmacy industry at some point in their career. Regardless, Wingate University offers an affordable PharmD/MBA Dual Degree option for students that can be completed in as little as four years or less.
The GMAT/GRE will be waived in most cases.
One course from the MBA curriculum (BUS 603 - Business Ethics) may be waived, making a total of only 11 required courses for the MBA Program. This is subject to grades of “B” or better in Pharmacy 735 and Pharmacy 759.
All required business prerequisites may be satisfied in only one semester by our MBA prerequisite course, BUS 500, offered during the Fall semester. Students only take (and pay for) the BUS 500 modules they need (most Pharmacy students already have the Quantitative Methods module covered, and thus do not need to take this BUS 500 module).
Health Care Management Concentration
One of the five areas of concentration offered is in Health Care Management, a unique concentration focused on developing health care industry leaders by enhancing health care management expertise through relevant, real-world oriented health care course content.
It is possible to enroll in the MBA Program throughout the year during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters. The program is structured such that Pharmacy students can complete the MBA program well within the four years of pharmacy school. Although the best case is to start during the P1 year, it is also possible to start the MBA Program at a later point during the Pharmacy Program.
Option to Start During the Summer Prior to Initial Fall Semester
Many incoming P1 Pharmacy students actually begin taking MBA classes during the Summer prior to their initial semester in the Pharmacy program, before taking the BUS 500 course in the Fall. By taking courses in the Summer, it can provide an added level of flexibility in terms of future course scheduling and sequencing.
Program Location Course Schedule and Course Delivery
All classes originate at the Ballantyne Campus during weekday evenings starting at 6 p.m. Each class meets once per week in the Fall and Spring; each class meets twice per week during the 6-week Summer sessions. Effective with the Fall 2020 semester and going forward, all MBA courses will be customized based on student preference with course delivery options including online delivery, in-person, and/or a combination of both. All MBA courses will have an online/remote option.
The Wingate MBA Program is one of the most affordable MBA values in the Charlotte region. The total tuition for the MBA Program for most pharmacy students would be approximately $25,200.
Completion of MBA Courses by End of P4 Year
In the past we have suggested that Pharmacy students complete all of their MBA courses by the end of their P3 year. As we know, students may be placed in rotations outside of Charlotte in their P4 year. However, since there will be an online/remote option for all MBA courses beginning with the Fall 2020 semester and going forward, there is much more flexibility now to complete the MBA courses during the P4 year.
The only incremental item needed from pharmacy students to complete the MBA admissions portfolio is the online MBA application which can be found here and only takes about 5 minutes to complete. The MBA application should be completed after acceptance to the Pharmacy program. All other required items (ie. transcripts, test scores, resume, etc.) are covered in the Pharmacy School admissions portfolio, which is sent to the MBA Director upon completion of the application. The same MBA application is used for all students, Pharmacy or otherwise. Given this streamlined process, it is often possible to apply and enroll in the program up until the beginning of each semester with admissions decisions rendered within one week.
Course Sequencing Requirements for the Pharmacy/MBA Program
- Completing MBA Courses by End of P4 Year: In the past we have suggested that Pharmacy students complete all of their MBA courses by the end of their P3 year. As we know, students may be placed in rotations outside of Charlotte in their P4 year. However, since there will be an online/remote option for all MBA courses beginning with the Fall 2020 semester and going forward, there is much more flexibility now to complete the MBA courses during the P4 year.
- Take One or Two MBA Courses each Fall and Spring: We recommend that students take one or two MBA courses in the Fall and Spring semesters, understanding that in some cases not taking a course in the Fall or Spring might not be possible.
- Take a Full Load of Summer Courses: We very strongly recommend that students take as many courses as possible during the Summers (since there are no Pharmacy classes over the Summer). Most pharmacy students take 3 or 4 MBA courses over each Summer. However, in order to complete the MBA Program, students must take courses over the Fall and Spring as well (ie. all of the required MBA classes will not be offered over the Summer—students cannot only take MBA classes in the Summer and complete the MBA program).
- Discuss Course Options: If students are ever unclear about which courses to take and future course sequences, or whether certain prerequisites are required, please discuss with the MBA Director. Note that Core MBA courses are typically offered twice a year. MBA Concentration courses are only offered once a year (for example: the Health Care concentration courses are only offered in the Summer).
- Back-Up Plans: Purely as a back-up plan, students may take MBA courses after they complete the Pharmacy Program. The only timing requirement is that students have 6 years from start to finish to complete the MBA Program. Obviously this is not a preferred option, but is being provided as information.