Pathway to the PA program for Wingate undergraduates
Wingate PA Advantage candidacy is an opportunity to receive preferential treatment for a seat in the PA program. The PA Advantage applies only to college freshmen who declare this intention upon enrollment at Wingate University. All other Wingate University students, transfer students, and alumni are given preferential consideration but must go through the normal channels of admission.
Please note: Revisions to the PA Advantage Program requirements, if any, are made effective with the fall semester each year. Incoming participants will follow the requirements in effect during his/her freshman year throughout undergraduate education.
PA Advantage candidates must meet the following initial requirements in order to be considered:
- Minimum score on SAT of 1000 or minimum score on ACT of 22
- Graduate from high school with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
Students must meet the requirements detailed below during the undergraduate years of study:
- Complete a four-year course of study at Wingate University leading to a BS or BA degree from the University
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.5 in all course work
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.5 in all science course work
- Receive no final course grade below “C”
- Complete the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with no score below the 50th percentile in the three exam sections
- Complete a minimum of 500 hours of PA program-approved direct patient contact
- Remain in contact with his/her undergraduate academic advisor to track successful completion of program requirements and to confirm academic record is in good standing with the minimum overall and science GPAs.
- Complete all PA admission requirements as detailed by the Harris Department of Physician Assistant Studies for the pertinent enrollment year
Participation in the Pre-PA/Pre-Health Professions Club as an undergraduate is strongly recommended.
Meeting these criteria will guarantee the student an interview with the PA program in his/her senior year during the regular interview cycle. By obtaining a satisfactory interview score, the student will receive an official notice of admission. Admission is provisional until the student has successfully completed all requirements for graduation and all PA Advantage requirements.
Students who fail to maintain PA Advantage standards at any time during the undergraduate studies will lose the PA Advantage designation and will no longer be eligible for the guaranteed interview for a seat in the PA program. The student may still apply to the PA program through normal admission channels.