Costa Rica Immersion Program
Office of International Programs
ABOUT COSTA RICA IMMERSION PROGRAM
A language immersion program can put you well on your way to understanding and being understood in Spanish. Conversing with locals in Costa Rica means you also get the opportunity to experience other aspects of the culture, too.
Students study for three weeks in late May and early June. Classes are available at the 100-, 200-, and 300-levels. Weekend excursions can include: zip-lining, hot-spring spas, snorkeling, waterfall climbing, and whitewater rafting.
Classes are held at Intercultura Language School in Heredia, Costa Rica. You’re grouped by your Spanish-speaking ability into small, personalized classes that meet for four hours a day. Outside of class, you can make the most of your time in the small town of Heredia, which is near the capital city of San Jose. It’s a convenient location for exploring the country’s natural treasures such as:
- Delicious fruits
- Hundreds of species of tropical birds
- Impressive volcanoes
- Lush rain forests
- Luxurious hot springs
ELIGIBILITY AND COST
To be considered for the program, you must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be in good disciplinary standing at Wingate University. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you also need a U.S. passport. If you’re a citizen of another country, check with the Costa Rican embassy for possible visa requirements.
Tuition and fees ($3999 in 2019) for the program includes:
- Round trip group airfare from Charlotte to San Jose
- Summer Wingate tuition (3 credit hours)
- Classes at Intercultura Language School
- International Health Insurance
- Transportation to/from the San Jose airport
- Housing in a private home
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Weekday excursions and classes
- Weekend overnight excursions to mountains, beaches, rainforests, and more!
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Internet access
- Language lab access
Other estimated costs:
- Baggage fees (approx. $25 each way)
- Lunch (approx. $5/day)
- Passport costs (between $110 and $135)
- Spending money for shopping or other extra excursions and activities, and tips for excursion guides
Please note that these rates are based on current prices and may change closer to departure date.
The WINGS Grant is available for Costa Rica Language Immersion Participants. Please apply as early as possible, as funds may not be available later in the year.
You can set up a payment schedule through the business office for a small fee. You must pay in full to be eligible to travel with the group.
|$300 deposit||January 28|
|Final Balance||April 15|
To determine your Spanish level, please contact Professor Cristina Castillo Artuch at email@example.com. Once your Spanish level has been determined, you can apply here (current Wingate students only). Deposits are due by January 28, 2019.