Academic Advising

The mission of the Office of Academic Advising is to empower Wingate University students with the resources and tools they need to help them thrive as ethical, global citizens. We want you to achieve realistic academic and professional goals.


At Wingate University, your Care Team, comprised of a faculty advisor and a career service advisor, supports you to ensure that you excel while transitioning from high school to university life. We’ll assist you in deciding on your educational and career goals and guide you to the courses you need to hit those marks.


Our Office of Academic Advising consists of faculty and staff Care Team members who work together to best serve you. And because Wingate University values lifelong learning, your advisors continually learn how best to serve you throughout their careers.

We strive to provide you with a strong advisory support system. And it shows. Our students ranked the quality of interactions with academic advisors very highly in the 2014 National Survey of Student Engagement.

Advising FAQs

Who will my academic advisor be?

All students are assigned an individualized Care Team, comprised of an academic advisor and a career advisor, through Wingate University’s Center of Vocation, Internship and Career Services (CVICS).

I’m thinking about changing my major or minor. Whom should I talk to?

Speak with your academic advisor and a faculty member who teaches in the program you’re interested in pursuing. You may also want to talk to your Care Team member in CVICS or the Office of Academic Advising.

How do I change my major, minor or advisor?

Changing your major, minor, or advisor is easy. Start by talking to someone in your Care Team, such as your academic or career. Changing your major may be completed online, via the Major/Minor/Advisor Change form in the myGate portal, under the Academic Advising tab. If you still have questions, contact the Office of Academic Advising.

What is the university core curriculum?

The university core curriculum is built around the skills that you need to thrive as a well-rounded member of today’s workforce.The details of the core curriculum can be found in the Academic Catalog and online on the core curriculum page. All core curriculum requirements must be completed before graduation.

Can any courses in my major also fulfill the university core requirements?

Yes, sometimes these courses can overlap. Your advisor will tell you which ones do.

What is a minor? Can minor courses apply to my major?

A minor is a concentration of classes (usually 18 credit hours) that works with your major. You don’t have to declare a minor. You can apply a maximum of two classes to your minor and major. There are a few exceptions, and you’ll find them in the Academic Catalog, which also lists the courses you need to complete your specific minor. To declare your minor, complete the form located on myGate under the Academic Advising tab.

I transferred courses or an AP credit to Wingate University. How do I make sure I get credit for these?

Your transferred courses and AP credits should show up on your unofficial transcript. You can find this within your WinLINK Self-Service account. For transfer credits, you’ll receive a transfer credit evaluation from the Office of the Registrar. That office is on the 2nd floor of the Stegall Administration Building.

How do I know which math courses are needed to satisfy the core curriculum and major requirements?

Math requirements vary by major, and sometimes major requirements fulfill the core curriculum. Math 115 is the minimum math class that applies to the core. To make sure you’re completing the right courses, review your major degree checklist and talk to your advisor.

What’s the difference between “general” and “advanced” classes?

All 100- and 200-level courses are considered general, while 300- and 400-level courses are advanced. To graduate, you must complete 40+ credit hours at the advanced level.

How do W’International or internship credits apply to my graduation requirements?

W’International and internship credits are both considered advanced level, so they count as advanced hours.

Can I take classes at another school during the summer?

Yes, but there are a few steps to take first:

1. Complete the Transient Study Form on myGate.

2. Make sure you have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Wingate University.

3. Obtain permission from the Office of the Registrar before you take courses elsewhere to make sure they’ll transfer in and count towards your degree requirements.

You cannot repeat a class you’ve already completed at Wingate University at another institution. Also, you must take your last 30 hours of courses in residence at Wingate University.

Is foreign language a degree requirement?

Yes, foreign language is a requirement for all degrees and the university core curriculum. For a Bachelor of Science degree, you need elementary foreign language courses (101 and 102). For a Bachelor of Arts degree, you’ll also need intermediate foreign language courses (201 and 202). Foreign language placement testing can allow you to exempt some levels, but no credit hours will be gained. Those credit hours will have to be replaced with electives. If you’re a student who holds the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma from a school in which the primary language of instruction is not English, you’re exempt from this requirement. However, you may still have to replace those hours with elective courses.

We know that starting college or transferring can be overwhelming. That’s why all new students take Gateway 101 in their first semester on campus. We want you to succeed, and Gateway 101 sets you up for success at Wingate University. In a way, it is an extension of Orientation.

Make a Connection

First-year students experience a number of transitions when they arrive on campus, including:

  • Academic
  • Intellectual
  • Personal
  • Physical
  • Social
  • Spiritual

In Gateway 101, you are introduced to the resources and tools you need from the full-time faculty members who lead the class, upperclass students (Peer Mentors) and your fellow classmates. The course is linked to another first-year course, which is typically taught by the same faculty member or another faculty member in the same department. Linking your Gateway 101 course to another first-year course provides you with more time to build relationships with classmates, mentors and the faculty.

What Will You Learn?

Gateway 101 is designed to help you achieve specific goals. These include the ability to:

  • Identify and use campus resources and opportunities that contribute to your academic and personal success
  • Improve written and oral communication skills to discover, develop and articulate ideas
  • Use university and the specific resources and publications in your major to successfully complete that major, including active participation in advising and registration
  • Engage with the diverse opportunities offered through cultural and campus life organizations and events
  • Develop critical relationships with mentors, faculty and staff so you can discuss matters related to campus life, your coursework and academic progress
  • Establish supportive relationships with classmates and Peer Mentors in all areas of your university life

What Do Students Say?

In the past, students have told us that Gateway 101 is exactly what they needed at this time in their life. What exactly do they say?

  • “It helped me figure out better ways to study and be a better student.”
  • “It taught me a lot about how I need to plan ahead and what steps I need to take to achieve my goal of going to medical school.”
  • “When I was freaking out about class, I knew that I could come to Gateway and vent as well as receive help.”
  • “I would say that Gateway’s way of introducing us to Wingate University and the individuals that make up our staff was very important when adjusting to the life in college. This adjustment made it easy to get comfortable with the transition, and that is important to my learning.”

Contact Us

Do you have questions about the Gateway to University Life course? E-mail Edward Case and he’ll be happy to answer them.