Transfer Students

While you already have some college experience, each campus has its own unique policies, procedures and culture. The information below aims to answer some of your most commonly asked questions as you transfer and begin your studies with us.

Transfer Credit Guide

These are our guidelines for transferring college credits:

  • A maximum of 90 semester hours will be accepted from a four-year institution.
  • Courses completed at accredited colleges and universities are accepted at full value for courses passed with a “C” or higher.
  • The maximum number of course hours that may transfer from a two-year institution is 64 semester hours.
  • The Registrar, consulting with the appropriate department chair(s), evaluates coursework to determine equivalency.
  • These courses must be comparable to our curriculum.

Transfer Evaluation

As a transfer student, you will need to provide your official academic records from previous colleges and universities you attended. We complete a transfer evaluation. It shows what classes you completed before transfer and what credits you receive upon transfer. If you want to receive AP credit or CLEP credit, we will need your official scores from the College Board. Have all of your records sent to the Office of Admissions.

The Office of Admissions forwards your academic records to the Office of the Registrar for an official transfer evaluation. We then determine how the credits you earned at another college translate into Wingate University credit.

If you need help with your transfer credit evaluation, contact the Office of the Registrar.


North Carolina Community Colleges (NCCC)

All North Carolina community colleges share a common course numbering system. The NCCC Transfer Guide contains a lengthy list of courses. It indicates how many Wingate University credits a student transferring from a NCCC receives for each course.

To help you understand the transfer guide, we have a selected examples below. From left to right, each line indicates a NCCC course number and a NCCC course name. Next is the equivalent Wingate University course and the number of Wingate University credit hours received for that course.

Articulation Agreement 


International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Individual departments may consider accepting IB credit if the student earns a minimum score of 5 on a higher-level examination. A copy of the syllabus for each subject passed at this level must be submitted to the appropriate department. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you have questions about transferring your college credits to a Wingate University degree program.

Transferring to Wingate University FAQs

How many credits will Wingate University accept?

Wingate University accepts up to 64 credits from an accredited two-year college. We accept up to 90 credits from an accredited four-year college or university.

Which credits will Wingate University accept?

Once all your paperwork is complete and Admissions has official transcripts, the Office of the Registrar will complete a transfer evaluation. This evaluation shows exactly what will transfer and what each course will transfer in as. Courses from an accredited college or university completed with a “C” grade or better will generally transfer to Wingate University. The same goes for courses that fall under a broad liberal arts curriculum.

How many semesters do I have left?

It depends on how closely the program at your previous college or university matches our program and core curriculum. Are you keeping the same major? Did you take basic general education courses or technical/vocational courses? Match the “Wingate equivalents” on your transfer evaluation with the courses listed on your degree checklist, which can be found on myGate or on the website under your program. Mark through the credits you can apply, add up the hours you still need and divide by 15. Fifteen units is a typical semester load. The resulting number shows approximately how long it will take. This does not factor in summer school or course substitutions that may impact your program of study. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you have more questions. They’ll answer every one.