Porter B. Byrum School of Business
In the School of Business, our focus is on creating a vibrant learning atmosphere that translates into relevant job opportunities for students upon graduation. We emphasize the use of resources that help to enhance the learning process:
- ACBSP-certified Accounting Lab that helps to train students how to use Capital IQ, CRSP and Morningstar Investment Research Center resources
- Active learning opportunities and focused student-teacher interactions
- Experiential, hands-on learning through team-based projects and case studies
- Immersive class projects and presentations
- Undergraduate research and internships
We encourage students to rise to their personal best and give back to their community. That is why we offer a volunteer tax internship program, the VITA PROGRAM, to our students to make an impact in Union County.
Whether you plan to start your own company or desire a career with major firms, government agencies or non-profit organizations, an accounting degree from Wingate University is the right choice. Job opportunities in accounting include:
- Chief financial officer
- Financial planner
- Government accountant
- Tax manager
You can take advantage of professional programs and resources to increase your knowledge and expand your network. Professional certifications help you differentiate yourself in the workplace. You may choose to pursue certification as:
- Certified Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Accounting majors at Wingate earn a BA degree. Students may also minor in accounting. After you earn your bachelor’s degree, you could earn a master’s degree in accounting in the same program that helped you build a solid foundation in the field.
The Four Year Academic Plans are standard templates for how a degree can be completed in eight (8) consecutive Fall & Spring semesters. There is varying flexibility in the exact course sequence depending upon individual student circumstances, major curriculum and course availability. Students should consult with their Faculty Advisor for course sequencing, degree planning and other considerations. Students are ultimately responsible for their degree planning.
The Porter B. Byrum School of Business is nationally accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). ACBSP is the leading accreditation association for business education for institutions with a focus on teaching excellence. ACBSP accreditation assures students of a commitment to overall quality, academic rigor and continuous improvement in business education.