Student Financial Aid

Once you’ve been accepted to Wingate University and completed the FAFSA, the Office of Admissions will contact you with your estimated student financial aid package. Here’s a breakdown of available aid types:

Grants and Scholarships

Federal and State grants, as well as scholarships awarded by Wingate University, may be available to assist with your college expenses.  Unlike loans, grants and scholarships don’t have to be repaid after you graduate.

Awarded to qualified students after they’re admitted to Wingate University, undergraduate academic scholarships are renewable for up to eight semesters.


Undergraduate academic scholarships range in value based on applicant eligibility and scholarship type.  Admissions staff review all eligible applicants for the following academic scholarships:

  • Academic Merit Scholarships
  • Irwin Belk Scholarships
  • Gateway Scholarships
  • Presidential Scholarships
  • Transfer Scholarships
  • Trustee Scholarships


Federal Pell Grant

A need based grant awarded to a student based on completion of the FAFSA. Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a Bachelor’s or a Professional Degree. Learn More

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A need based grant awarded to a student based on completion of the FAFSA. FSEOG funding is awarded by the Financial Planning Office with priority given to Pell Grant recipients.  Learn More


Golden LEAF Scholarship Program

To be considered for this award, a student must be a NC resident, have financial need, and be a resident of a rural county. Learn More

NC Need Based Scholarship

Created by the 2011 NC General Assembly, this is a need-based program for NC residents attending private institutions of higher education located in North Carolina. NCNBS is awarded to students based on completion of the FAFSA and meeting the residency requirements outlined by the State of North Carolina. Learn More


Wingate University Academic Scholarships

Awarded to qualified students after they’re admitted to Wingate University, undergraduate academic scholarships are renewable for up to eight semesters. These scholarships range in value based on applicant eligibility and are awarded by the Office of Admissions once you have been admitted.

GlaxoSmithKline Women in Science Scholars Program

Scholarships are awarded to female students majoring in biology or chemistry. To become eligible for the scholarship, you must be a rising sophomore or junior, pursue a biology or chemistry degree, meet the minimum GPA requirements, and provide a recommendation letter from a faculty member. Please contact the Biology Department Chair for additional information.

Jerry E. McGee Scholarship

Named in honor of Wingate University’s ninth president, the Jerry E. McGee Scholarship provides financial assistance to eligible Wingate University students. Those eligible for the scholarship will be contacted directly to apply.

True Homes, LLC

This $1,000 per year scholarship will benefit students in 25 Carolinas counties on top of any academic- or need-based grants. The True Homes Scholarship will be automatically applied to financial aid packages for new first-year and transfer undergraduate students beginning with the fall 2019 semester.

Coy Muckle Scholarship

The Coy Muckle Scholarship was established to assist ordained ministers who are employed by a church as a full-time or bi-vocational pastor.  Recipients must be seeking a first baccalaureate degree and may be enrolled full-time or part-time. You will be required to complete a certification form with the Office of Student Financial Planning to qualify.   


Wilma L. McCurdy Memorial Fund

Was established in 1970, when Ms. McCurdy created the scholarship specifically for students who are permanent residents of Stanly County, North Carolina. To be considered for the scholarship, you must maintain a 2.0 minimum GPA and complete an application by August 1. Eligible recipients will be notified by the Financial Planning Office to complete an application. Note that any students who are direct relatives or spouses of any trustees or employees of Wells-Fargo Bank are not eligible to apply.

Phi Theta Kappa Incentive Grant

Was developed to help active members cover education costs if transferring to Wingate University.  You will be required to complete an application form with the Office of Admissions and submit proof of PTK membership.  Learn More

Luther H. Butler Scholarship

Developed by the North Carolina Baptist Foundation, this scholarship provides funding to students who are members of a church affiliated with the Baptist State Convention of NC.  Learn More



Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

These loans are available to eligible Undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need based on the results of the FAFSA. The federal government pays the interest on this loan type under certain conditions. Learn More

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

These loans are available to Undergraduate and Graduate/Professional students with no requirement to demonstrate need. Wingate University determines how much you can borrow based the results of your FAFSA.  You are responsible for paying the interest on this loan type during all periods. Learn More

Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents

The parent of a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time, may be eligible to apply for a PLUS Loan to assist with their child’s educational expenses.  Wingate University determines how much you can borrow based on the results of your FAFSA. Learn More

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate/Professional students, enrolled at least half-time, may be eligible to apply for a PLUS Loan to assist with their educational expenses.  Wingate University determines how much you can borrow based on the results of your FAFSA. Learn More

Federal Loan Acceptance

Once the Office of Student Financial Planning receives notice of the amount of loans you’re eligible for, an award letter is sent to you. A copy of the loan acceptance form is sent with your award package. You have three options when filling it out:

1. You can accept the full amount of the loan.
2. You can accept the loan, but reduce the amount if it’s more than you need.
3. You can decline the loan.

Make sure you sign and date it before mailing, faxing or e-mailing it to the Office of Student Financial Planning. The fax number is 704-233-9396. You’ll need to do this within 30 days of receiving your award letter. All the contact info you need is right there on the form. If the Office of Student Financial Planning doesn’t receive your completed loan acceptance form within 30 days of the day your award letter is issued, your students loans are placed in a “declined” status. If you decide that you need your loans, you will need to complete and submit a loan acceptance form, and we will update your loan status.


N.C. Forgivable Education Loans

The Forgivable Education Loans for Service program was established to provide financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. You can find eligible degree programs on the College Foundation of North Carolina’s FELS page.

As the name says, FELS offers loans, but you can have the loan forgiven if you follow the rules and obligations of your program. The FELS loans have different amounts, depending on your academic program.

Annual loan amounts are as follows:

  • Certificate or associate degree programs: $3,000
  • Bachelor’s degree programs: freshmen and sophomores $3,000
  • Bachelor’s degree programs: junior and senior: $7,000
  • Master’s degree programs: $10,000
  • Graduate certificate programs: $10,000
  • Doctoral degree programs: $14,000

Maximum aggregate loan limits are:

  • Certificate and/or associate degree programs: $6,000
  • Bachelor’s degree programs: $20,000
  • Master’s degree programs: $20,000
  • Graduate certificate programs: $20,000
  • Doctoral degree programs: $56,000

You must be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes to be eligible for the FELS program. You must also be willing to work in North Carolina in a designated critical employment shortage profession and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

In addition, you must also meet these eligibility requirements:

  • You must register with the Selective Service System, if required.
  • You must not be in default or owe a refund under any federal or state loan or grant program
  • At the time of application, You must present a cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of:
    • 3.00 for graduating high school students (weighted GPA)
    • 2.80 for undergraduate students pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree
    • 3.20 for students pursuing a graduate or professional degree

Email is the official form of communication between the FELS Program and you. If you choose to apply for the program, keep your contact information up to date on the SEAA Student Portal. Visit the FELS page to apply online or to obtain more information about the FELS program.


Alternative Student Loan

Alternative student loan programs made available by private lenders help fill the gap between the financial aid you receive and the money you still need. You’re not required to use student loan programs provided by banks. But credit-worthy students or students with credit-worthy co-borrowers can borrow money through these programs.

Under federal law, Wingate University must certify your choice of lender and its guarantee agency. You can visit FASTChoice to review a list of lenders that our students have used in previous years and complete an application with the lender of your choice.

Work Study

Work-study provides part-time employment for Wingate University students with financial need, enabling them to earn money to pay for their educational expenses.

Earnings from work-study positions go directly to the student; they are not automatically applied to the student’s account.

Student workers earn at least the current minimum wage and are paid monthly, with the first payroll on or around October 15.

Students are not guaranteed a position on campus and are responsible for finding employment. All students are eligible to work on campus through either the Federal or Institutional Program.

Each department on campus is responsible for the individual positions available in their department. You can contact departments directly, either in person or by phone, to ask about available positions.

Some departments post jobs with the Office of Career Development. Your name will be added to the list to view those postings in the CareerGate-Powered by Purple Briefcase the summer before your first year at Wingate University.

Once you have a job offer, go to the Office of Student Financial Planning to get a work-study contract and to fill out the required tax paperwork. Please be aware that you cannot begin working on campus until you have completed the appropriate paperwork and your supervisor has received approval for you to begin work.

Veteran's Educational Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers a number of education programs that help with tuition. Select programs also provide funding for housing and books. It’s important to know which benefits you are qualified to receive.  You may be eligible for more than one program. In that case, you can choose the one that best matches your educational plans and life goals. The helpful GI Bill Comparison Tool website is a quick way to see which one is the best match for you.

  1. Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill: The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education assistance to help you earn a degree. Typically, you can claim MGIB benefits for up to 10 years after your release from active duty.
  2. Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve: The MGIB-SR program may provide tuition assistance if you are a Selected Reserve member.
  3. Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP): REAP assists Reserve members who have been called or ordered to active duty because of war or national emergency. The program provides or increases benefits to certain reservists activated for at least 90 days after Sep 11, 2001.
  4. Chapter 35 Dependent Children: Eligible dependents of disabled or deceased veterans can receive up to 45 months of education benefits.
  5. Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008: The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides educational assistance to qualified service members. You must have served for at least 90 days on or after Sep 11, 2001. If you were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may also qualify. You must have received an honorable discharge.
  6. Wingate University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which helps make private universities more affordable for veterans and their dependents. Our full-time students using the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill are eligible for Yellow Ribbon grants in the spring semester. This funding is in addition to benefits for tuition, housing and textbooks.

Please email Ms. Karen Elizabeth Smith if you have questions about veterans’ benefits.

Tuition Exchange


Tuition exchange programs create scholarship and tuition remission opportunities for the children of current faculty and staff. It’s a significant benefit for the employees of Wingate University.


Wingate University offers three tuition exchange options. Explore each to see which may suit your family’s needs:



To learn more about any of the tuition exchange programs we offer, stop by the Office of Student Financial Planning on the first floor of the Stegall Administration Building. Complete our application to apply for Tuition Exchange at Wingate.

SPCC Gateway Scholarship