Residence Life

One of the benefits of living on campus is that you get a multidimensional college experience. At the Office of Residence Life, we work hard to make sure that experience is great.

Attending a small school like Wingate University means participating in a fun, vibrant community. You learn as much from your fellow students as from your professors. That’s why we strongly encourage students to live on campus. You belong here, so take advantage of all we have to offer.

The World, Right Here

At Wingate University, you live comfortably and conveniently. With about 75 percent of our undergraduate students living on campus, academic resources, your social life and extracurricular activities are always close at hand. Walk out your door and attend a sporting event or a club meeting. You can keep a car on campus, but everything you need is within walking distance.

Housing that Grows with You

Most students start out in residence halls with a roommate. As you progress through your four years here, you might opt for a suite-style building. Or you can move into an apartment with roommates of your own choosing.

We consider this an important part of a Wingate University education. You learn from your roommates what can’t be taught in the classroom. The benefits of living on campus include developing a sense of confidence that only comes from living autonomously.

No matter where you choose to live on campus, the Office of Residence Life is here to support you. We hope you’ll turn to us when you have questions or need a little help. Welcome home!

Residence Life FAQs

If you’re like everyone who ever went to college, you’re nervous about moving to a strange, new place. It’s going to be fine! Trust us. We’ve been doing this a while. Still, we get a lot of questions, and you’re probably wondering the same things. So, below are some of questions we hear most often.

The most asked questions

The top ten

Why do I have to live on campus?

Late-night cram sessions, impromptu dance parties and crawling to the dining hall for a fresh-cooked breakfast are part of what college life is about. Not to mention the convenience of having the library, your classes and a study support network all in one place. As long as you’re here full-time, you can live on campus. But you don’t have to. All students are guaranteed housing, though some choose to commute when they meet certain criteria.

Do all students live on campus?

No, but most of them do. In fact, over 80 percent of Wingate students choose to live on campus in one of our three types of housing: residence halls, apartments or suites.

Where will I live?

As a first-year student, you’ll live in a residence hall (Helms, New or Old Cannon, Alumni or JM Smith). From your sophomore year on, you can opt for a residence hall, apartment or suite.

Who will I live with and how do you decide?

We choose your roommate based on the compatibility of responses in your housing questionnaire. As a freshman you’ll get your housing assignment in July. Upperclass students choose by the end of spring semester. It is possible to choose your roommate if you know someone you’d like to share with.


How can I find a new roommate?

Talk with your RA to set up a mediation. If mediation fails, email your RD or AC and setup an appointment to figure out next steps.


What kind of bed will I have?

All rooms are furnished with XL twin beds. You can create bunk beds if you and your roommate agree to do so.


What are the different food options on campus?

Meal plans are included with room and board. 

  • All-Access Meal Plan – all residential students (embedded in housing and board charges)
    • $285 in Bulldog Bucks
  • 75-Block Plan. Cost: $645.69 per semester – commuters only
    • 75 meals per semester at W.T. Harris Dining Hall 
    • $150 in Bulldog Bucks
  • 50-Block Plan. Cost: $521.00 per semester – commuters only
    • 50 meals per semester at W.T. Harris Dining Hall 
    • $150 in Bulldog Bucks
  • 25-Block Plan. Cost: $394.61 per semester – commuters only
    • 25 meals per semester at W.T. Harris Dining Hall 
    • $175 in Bulldog Bucks
  • Bulldog Bucks Plan. Cost: $297.44 per semester – residential students and commuters
    • $310 in Bulldog Bucks per semester

Bulldog Bucks
Bulldog Bucks are like cash on your Wingate ID Card that is included or purchases as a part of a meal plan.  You can use them at Einstein’s, Starbucks, Chick-fil-a, and more dining locations around campus. All residential students are alloted $285 Bulldogs Bucks and they expire at the end of each semester. 

Dining Options:

  • WT Harris Dining Hall (Caf)
  • Einstein's Bros. Bagels 
  • Freshëns Fresh Food Studio (coming fall 2019)
  • Chick-fil-A (coming fall 2019)
  • Bento Asian Kitchen (coming fall 2019
  • Starbucks
  • Pizza Hut
  • Provisions on Demand (P.O.D)

More about dining



Can I have a vehicle on campus?

Yes, students can have a vehicle on campus, but they must have a parking decal and are restricted to parking in areas assigned to their specific decal. Parking decals can be picked up in the Office of Campus Safety. At the beginning of the fall semester, all students can get a parking decal during Welcome Week.

What do residence halls look like?

For video and photos of first-year housing, please click here.

When do I receive my housing assignment?

Freshmen receive their housing assignment during the month of July, and upperclassmen sign up for housing during the spring semester for the next academic year.

And a few more

I want to commute. How does that process work?

If you want to commute, you need to let the Office of Residence Life know before the start of the semester that you plan to commute. You’ll need to submit a Commuting Student Application to the Office of Residence Life. The application goes through an approval process. Students who are at least 23 years old (on or before the first day of classes), ninth-semester seniors or living in the principle residence of their parents or guardians have the option of living off campus. Unless living in the principle residence of a parent or guardian, all scholarship student-athletes are required to live on campus.


How many students live in a room?

For first-year students, the following options are available:

  • Alumni Hall offers two-person rooms as well as four-person rooms.
  • Cannon Hall offers two-person rooms as well as four-person rooms.
  • CM Black Hall offers two-person rooms.
  • Helms Hall offers suite-style living; each suite has four rooms with up to two people to a room.
  • JM Smith Hall offers two-person rooms.


May I move into my residence early?

Please contact the Office of Residence Life regarding availability. If space is available, there may be a per day charge for early arrivals.



Is alcohol allowed on campus?

There is absolutely no alcohol allowed in the traditional first-year student residence halls (Alumni, Cannon and JM Smith). All other residences are allowed to have alcohol if all current residents are 21 years old, the legal drinking age for North Carolina. If you are 21, you may not take alcohol into another apartment or residence on campus if those residents are under age.


Are students allowed to have pets on campus?

Students living on campus are allowed to have fish that can survive in a five-gallon tank. Cats, dogs, rabbits, snakes, turtles and other animals are not permitted as pets. Students who have pets that do not fall under the above guidelines may incur a community standards violation with financial assessments.

An assistance animal (the category under which an ESA would be categorized) is permitted only as an approved student accommodation. Students seeking academic and/or non-academic accommodations at Wingate University must self-declare a disability and provide supporting documentation as a first step in requesting reasonable accommodations. Service dogs have different rules that exist for them and are welcome on-Campus too. For more information, email


About living on campus

Rooms and areas

First year residence halls

There are six buildings primarily designated for first-year students, with a few wonderful themed-living communities. All first-year residence halls are coed to varying degrees: by floor, wing or alternating room. Students can indicate their preference on the housing questionnaire.

If you have any questions regarding on-campus living at Wingate University after reading the following information, please contact the Office of Residence Life and Involvement at or 704-233-8663.

Dimensions and Photos


What can I do if the noise level on my floor is too loud?

If you hear a disturbance, first talk to those who are causing the disturbance. If the noise continues, go to your RA or CA and let them know about the problem or call Campus Safety at 704-233-8999.

How do I get a room change?

If students have identified an empty room they would like to move into and the roommate(s) agree with the move, the students with the space must notify the Office of Residence Life to begin the process for moving. If students do not know of a space to move into, they can contact the Office of Residence Life to talk about the availability of spaces to move into.

Can I loft or bunk my bed?

Yes, you can loft or bunk your bed. If you choose to loft your bed, please be aware there’s a two-part approval process. You must receive permission from the residence director before lofting.

The Office of Residence Life will also follow up to ensure that teh loft is constructed in a responsible and structurally sound way. Students who do not construct satisfactory lofts are required to dismantle them. We will not remove any furniture from the room or apartment. We do not offer university-owned lofting kits to students, although students are permitted to construct or buy their own. Students are responsible for any and all other furniture associated with a loft, such as ladders and stools.

We do provide bunking materials for students. Students need to come by the Office of Residence Life to obtain bunking pins for beds.

Are the rooms carpeted?

Alumni, Cannon, CM Black and JM Smith have carpeted rooms.

What kinds of appliances are allowed in the rooms?

Refrigerators and microwaves are allowed in residence halls. Apartments have an oven, refrigerator, stove and dishwasher. Please do not bring any items with an open flame or burner coils.

Is there a laundry or linen service?

Each residential building is equipped with a free laundry. All you need to provide is laundry supplies.

What are the average measurements of the rooms?

The measurements for the residence hall rooms and the apartments can be found on the undergraduate residence halls page. There is some variation between room measurements within a single building.

Is there co-ed housing?

There are co-ed buildings with men on one floor and women on another or in apartments next to each other. However, students of opposite sexes may not room together in the same apartment or residence hall room.

For buildings with a traditional residence hall layout, access to floors is provided by ID cards unique to each individual.

Is there air conditioning?

Each room and apartment is equipped with individual AC and heating units to be controlled by the residents.

May I bring my bed, my own mattress or desk?

You can bring your own bedding, but you’re not allowed to remove any university-provided furniture from the room.

Where is wireless Internet access available?

There is wireless Internet access available throughout campus, including the lobbies of residence halls, rooms and apartments, academic buildings, the Dickson-Palmer Center and the library.

Should I bring an Ethernet cable or use Wi-Fi in my room?

Residential students should buy an Ethernet cable to use while in the residence halls and apartments. Personal wireless routers are prohibited since they disrupt the wireless signals for all students in each building. Also, wireless printers need to have the wireless setting deactivated since they also interfere with the wireless signal for other students.

Are housekeeping services provided?

Housekeeping cares for the community-style bathrooms and the common spaces in the first-year residential areas. Housekeeping is not responsible for cleaning the residents’ rooms or apartments.

What are health and safety checks?

CAs, RAs and RDs go through apartments, halls and rooms to check for safety violations monthly. CAs, RAs and RDs do not go through residents’ belongings; they simply check the surface of what’s in plain sight for safety hazards, cleanliness and violations. Students are not informed when checks are performed.

Do you offer XL twin mattresses?

Yes, all twin beds are XL.

How are bathroom facilities set up?

Community bathrooms including showers and toilets are located in the freshman residence halls. Bathrooms shared between two to three people are found in upperclassman areas.

Can I remove furniture from my room?

Students should not remove university furniture from any room or apartment. If something is damaged or defective, please notify the Office of Residence Life. Students who bring their own furniture should not expect the university to remove any furniture they have rendered “additional” by bringing their own.

What to do for fun

What kinds of programming activities take place in the residence halls?

Each RA is responsible for designing programs for their individual halls. These programs build community among the hall residents and cover different aspects of students’ transition to college and connection to Wingate University. The programs are social, educational or community service focused.

What restaurants are nearby?

In Wingate, you’ll find Burger King, Ginos, Great China, McDonald’s, Subway, Tokyo Bistro and Pizza Hut.

Nearby Monroe has more options including Applebees, Chick-Fil-A, Chili’s, Longhorn Steakhouse, O’Charley’s, Olive Garden, Papa John’s and Pizza Hut.

What are the closest shopping locations?

Monroe Mall is located 15 minutes away in Monroe, North Carolina. Monroe also offers a Super WalMart and a shopping center which includes Target, TJ Maxx and Ross. You can find many other small shopping areas in Monroe, in the downtown area and along Highway 74.

What can students do for fun?

You’ll find that Bulldog students have loads of fun on campus when they get involved. You can become a stronger person by volunteering through the university’s causes. Plus, Wingate’s 40 or so registered student organizations offer you the chance to connect with kindred spirits in academic, faith-based, Greek and other organizations. Bulldogs have fun staying active too. Campus Recreation offers opportunities for you to join a sport club, play on intramural teams and take fitness classes.

If you didn’t find the question you were looking for, feel free to email us or stop by the Residence Life Office in Dickson-Palmer Center.

About the process

The housing process

Are students guaranteed housing?

All undergraduate students are guaranteed housing. First-year students live in traditional residence halls. Sophomores, juniors and seniors have the opportunity to live in a traditional residence hall or in an apartment- or suite-style residential area on campus. They can choose a two-person residence hall room or two-person, four-person or eight-person apartment or a six-person suite.

Can students live on campus all four years?

Wingate University is a four-year residential university, meaning that all full-time undergraduate students are required to live on campus during their time as a Wingate University student. However, students can submit a commuter application if they:

  • Are married or a single parent
  • Are 23 years of age or older
  • Are in or above the ninth semester of enrollment
  • Are living in the principle residence of their parents or a legal guardian
  • Have other compelling circumstances

Do I have to purchase a meal plan if I live on campus?

One of the reasons we require students to live on campus is to encourage them to get know others who live on campus. For many students, a natural place to spend time enjoying college life is over food. Students have a meal plan included as a part of their room and board fee. Room and meal plan costs are included in the residential rate. All students are required to participate in a meal plan. There is no extra fee for a meal plan. Commuting students also have options for meal plans.

What is the cost for housing and the meal plan?

Room and board is $10,280 for the year.

I received my housing assignment. Can I make a change before I arrive?

Students who are interested in moving may contact residence life to make a request. However, room changes will not be made on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation. Changes will be accommodated as space is available. The Office of Residence Life may not be able to accommodate all requests by students to live in one particular residence hall.

Do I have a mailing address as a student?

Paw Print serves as a personal post office for you to receive packages and mail. Located across from Pizza Hut, you will get an email when a package arrives. Paw Print is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. At Route 1896, you will receive a campus box number to share with friends and family.

The address should be written as:

Student's Name
102 West Wilson Street
Campus Box #
Wingate, NC 28174

I will not have full-time hours. Can I still live on campus?

Students who drop below full-time hours, fewer than 12 credit hours, are not eligible to live on campus. If you have further questions or to apply for special circumstances, feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life.

Moving in, checking out and staying for breaks

What should I bring to campus?

If you live in a residence hall, you should bring:

  • Bed risers
  • Clothing and regular storage
  • Computer
  • Curtain for closet if you live in Cannon or Helms Residence Hall
  • Microwave
  • Mini-refrigerator
  • TV

If you live in an apartment, you should bring:

  • Bathroom supplies
  • Bed risers
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Clothing and regular storage
  • Command Strips or small thumb tacks only to hang personal items on the walls
  • Computer
  • Kitchen supplies
  • Linens
  • Microwave
  • Mini-refrigerator
  • TV

When do students arrive and leave?

The end of fall semester, you may leave for winter break as soon as you are finished with their exams. In the spring, you may leave when you have finished your final exams and have properly checked out through the Office of Residence Life.

Over the Spring and Winter break, you may leave your belongings in your rooms.

During the summer, it is required to move all belongings out of the residence hall. 

If you need housing over winter, spring or summer break fill out a housing request prior to the start of the break.

Are there any storage facilities?

No storage facilities are provided for students on campus. Many students use storage units located in Monroe, North Carolina to leave belongings over the summer and long breaks.

Can students stay in their rooms during vacations or breaks?

Winter break is the only break in which all residents must leave campus. Students who must stay over the break are charged a per day or week rental rate. Because our residential campus is closed during Winter Break, students must communicate their intention to stay on campus. You can remain on campus during all other breaks, but you must let the Office of Residence Life know beforehand.

When can students check in?

New students can check into their residence halls on August 21, 2015. Returning students can check into their residence halls on August 23, 2015.

When can students register for classes?

Check the academic calendar to see when to register for classes for the semester.

Policies and safety

Campus policies and safety

What types of safety and security measures are provided for residents on campus?

Campus Safety services are available 24/7 and may be reached at 704-233-8999. You can also use the emergency posts located around campus when you have any safety concern.

What kind of visitation policies are in place?

Residence Halls
From Sunday through Thursday night, guests of the opposite sex must be out of the first-year residence halls by midnight (12am) and may not enter the buildings until after noon (12pm). On Friday and Saturday nights, guests of the opposite sex must be out of the residence hall by 2am. Guests of the same sex are limited to three consecutive nights to visit.

Guests must be accompanied by a Wingate student at all times.

Guests of the opposite sex may visit from 10am-2am every night, but must return to their apartment or residence hall from 2am-10am.

Can I keep firearms and other such weapons in my room?

No. Weapons and firearms, including paintball and airsoft guns and large hunting knives, are not allowed on the Wingate University campus at any time.

Are there staff members who work with students?

Yes, Resident Assistants, or RAs, are staff members who work in the first-year areas. Community Assistants, or CAs, work in the apartment areas. RAs or CAs live on each floor or oversee a building and are present to be a resource, assist with concerns and for the development of community.

Five para-professional staff members, who are graduate students, are residence directors, or RDs. They work with the student staff members to oversee specific areas on campus and reside in the part of the area that they oversee.

The Office of Residence Life has a director and three assistant directors of Residence Life who have offices located in the Young Residence Life House.

How are residence halls supervised?

Each hall in the first-year areas includes an RA who oversees a floor. In the apartment style areas, each building has one to two CAs. The RA and CA staffs for each area are supervised by an RD, who is a graduate assistant in the Office of Residence Life.

What happens when a rule or policy is violated?

When a rule or policy is violated, the student meets with an Office of Residence Life staff member to go through the Community Standards process. Disciplinary action is discussed during a hearing if the student is found responsible for the policy violation.

What are the phone numbers for RAs and residence hall directors?

RAs give their phone numbers to their residents during the first hall meeting of the year so residents can contact them if they have any needs, concerns or questions that come up during the year.

RDs also work as on-call staff members and are on call for a week at a time. They can be reached by contacting Campus Safety at 704-233-8999. Because the RDs live in the areas they serve, many students stop by and talk with their RD if they have specific questions or concerns. All RD staff members are expected to be in the Office of Residence Life for 20-25 hours each week.

May I smoke in the residence halls?

Wingate University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking tobacco or using any type of tobacco product is not allowed anywhere on campus.

When are quiet hours in the residence halls?

Quiet hours are from 11pm-8am Sunday through Thursday. On Friday and Saturday, quiet hours are from 2am-8am. There is a 24-hour courtesy policy, and the quiet hours are 24 hours during final exams at the end of each semester.

Can students bring bikes, skateboards, scooters?

Yes. Depending on the weather, many students use a variety of methods to get to and from classes and on-campus housing.

Is there a campus curfew?


How close are parking lots to respective residence halls?

Parking lots are in close proximity to residential facilities. It is important to ensure that students park in appropriate lots.