Dr. Brandon Tutkowski
B.S., Chemistry, Concordia University Wisconsin 2013
Brandon Tutkowski is a native of Wisconsin, where he received his B.S. with honors in Chemistry from Concordia University Wisconsin in Mequon. He received his Ph. D. from the University of Notre Dame in 2018 working in the combined research group of Professors Paul Helquist and Olaf Wiest. He is currently an Assistant Professor of Chemistry at Wingate University where he teaches organic and general chemistry courses and labs. Brandon’s research interests range from developing and improving essential oil extraction techniques to computational and experimental investigation of organic and organometallic reaction mechanisms. Outside of the lab, Brandon enjoys taking advantage of the many recreational opportunities the Carolinas have to offer.
- Developing and improving essential oil extraction techniques
- Computational and experimental investigation of organic and organometallic reaction mechanisms
- Zhang, X.†; Tutkowski, B.†; Oliver, A.; Helquist, P.; Wiest, O. Mechanistic Study of the Nickel-catalyzed α,β-coupling of Saturated Ketones, ACS Catal., 2018, 8, 1740-1747. (†Joint first-authors)
- Tutkowski, B.; Kerdphon, S.; Limé, E.; Helquist, P.; Andersson, P. G.; Wiest, O.; Norrby, P.-O. Revisiting the Stereodetermining Step in Enantioselective Iridium-Catalyzed Imine Hydrogenation, ACS Catal., 2018, 8, 615-623.
- Tutkowski, B.; Meggers, E.; Wiest, O. Understanding Rate Acceleration and Stereoinduction of an Asymmetric Giese Reaction Mediated by a Chiral Rhodium Catalyst, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 8062-8065.
- Zhang, C.; Tutkowski, B.; DeLuca, R. J.; Joyce, L. A.; Wiest, O.; Sigman, M. S. Palladium-catalyzed Enantioselective Heck Alkenylation of Trisubstituted Allylic Alkenols: a Redox-relay Strategy to Construct Vicinal Stereocenters, Chem. Sci., 2017, 8, 2277-2282.
- Hansen, E.; Rosales, A. R.; Tutkowski, B.; Norrby, P.-O.; Wiest, O. Prediction of Stereochemistry using Q2MM, Acc. Chem. Res., 2016, 49, 996-1005.
- Tutkowski, B. M.; Grigalunas, M.; Wiest, O.; Helquist, P. A Nickel-catalyzed α,β-coupling of Saturated Ketones, Tetrahedron Lett., 2015, 56, 3468-3472.
- ACS-Southeastern Regional Meeting, Poster, Savannah, GA October 2019
- Schaap Chemistry Symposium, Poster, Hope College July 2017
- Physical Sciences Seminar Series, Invited seminar speaker, Concordia University Wisconsin April 2017
- HC Brown Lectures, Poster, Purdue University April 2016
- Eli Lilly Grantee Symposium, Poster, Indianapolis, IN March 2016
- OMCOS18 – IUPAC International Symposium, Poster, Sitges (Barcelona), Spain July 2015
- ACS-Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Poster, Lacrosse, WI June 2013
- Striving for Excellence in College and University Teaching Certificate, Notre Dame April 2016
- Jeremiah P. Freeman Graduate Teaching Award, Notre Dame March 2016
- Kaneb Center Award for Outstanding Teaching Assistants, Notre Dame April 2014
- ACS-Great Lakes Regional Meeting Poster Session Award, La Crosse, WI June 2013
Courses I Teach
- Organic Chemistry I and II Lecture and Lab
- General Chemistry Lab
- Introductory Chemistry Lab
Interesting Fact About Me
I cycle over 2,000 miles a year.
What I Love About Wingate
One thing I love about working at Wingate is the people - students and coworkers alike.