The president of Wingate University is a Bulldog through and through.
Dr. Rhett Brown, the 10th president of Wingate University, has been a Bulldog since he was 20 years old. The native of rural Pelion, South Carolina, was a first-generation college student. He played football and earned his bachelor’s degree in English from Wingate College in 1989; he earned his MBA from Wingate University in 2001. He holds a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Alabama. As a United States Naval Reservist for eight years, he served in Saudi Arabia during the first Persian Gulf War.
Brown served Wingate University for 26 years before being named president. During that time, he held the following positions:
- Director of the Office of Career Services
- Associate Dean of Students
- Dean of Enrollment Management
- Vice President of Student Life and Enrollment Services
Brown even coached the cross-country team in the mid-’90s. As Vice President for Student Life and Enrollment Services from 2009 to 2015, he helped increase the university’s total enrollment 32 percent. During his time as vice president, his efforts helped improve the university’s revenue while decreasing student debt for tuition.
The President’s Goals
The seasoned leader’s goals as president of Wingate University are clear:
- Focus on strategic planning to develop outstanding programs and facilities
- Foster a collaborative leadership team
- Strengthen the university’s resource development and community relations
Dr. Rhett Brown is married to Nicci Chen Brown who is a graduate of the University of the South and UNC-Charlotte. They have two children, Wyatt and Isabelle, and make their home in Monroe, North Carolina.