Master of Sport Management
Sport management is a fast-growing, increasingly competitive profession. Wingate University’s Master of Arts in Sport Management (MASM) degree gives you a competitive edge as you pursue a career in this field.
Our courses include:
- Sport Economics and Finance
- College Athlete Development and Wellness
- Sport Marketing and Promotions
- Sport Venue and Event Management
The sport management degree program at Wingate University has received specialized accreditation through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) located in Arlington, Virginia, USA. The sport management program in the following degrees are accredited by COSMA: Master of Arts in Sport Management
Experiential learning opportunities are a key part of the curriculum. You get an insider view of organizations such as:
- Big South Conference
- Carolina Panthers
- Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Special Olympics
- South Atlantic Conference
Through hands-on learning experiences, you’ll expand your network, apply your learning and build your confidence. Just take a look at our MASM Student Achievement Data (PDF) to see what our recent graduates have done.
Our students learn from full-time faculty and sport industry professionals who understand the real-life issues and challenges the profession faces today. Our faculty bring their experience into the classroom, giving our students the insight they need to compete and thrive after they graduate.
Wingate University’s master’s program in sport management holds classes at our Ballantyne campus in south Charlotte, NC, and some classes are partially online. We work hard to provide an academic schedule that fits your life.
Candidates for the Master of Arts in Sport Management degree must complete a minimum of 36 credit hours of coursework in accordance with the prescribed course of study and maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
In addition to completing 10 core courses for 30 credit hours, students complete a Professional Practice component for 6 credit hours, which consists of an internship and a major project. Both are designed to provide specific relevance to the student’s professional interests and future career goals.
The graduate courses are taught on the Wingate University – Ballantyne campus, which is approximately 45 minutes from the Wingate, NC campus. All MASM classes are held in the evenings, Monday through Thursday.
To be eligible for admission to the MASM degree program, you must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Have a GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Have satisfactory scores on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), GMAT, or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Submit a completed online application, including the required Essay of Intent
- Provide your official scores on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), GMAT, or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores must come directly from the testing agency. Scores older than five (5) years are not accepted.
- Provide two recommendation forms from faculty or supervisory personnel
- Arrange to have your official transcript(s) sent directly from all previously attended colleges and universities
Fall semester: July 1
Spring semester: December 1
Summer semester: April 1
Please have your transcripts and recommendations sent to:
School of Sport Sciences
PO Box 159
Wingate, NC 28174
If you have questions about the application or admission process, please contact Mrs. Holly Griffin, Executive Assistant to the Dean, at email@example.com or 704-233-8178.
* The MASM program will soon be transitioning to a 100% online format. F1 visa international students, per federal regulations, cannot be granted visas for online degrees and consequently will no longer be able to complete a course of study after an August 2018 start date. Therefore, enrollment will be permanently closed after fall 2018 to F1 visa student applicants for this degree.
Dr. Dawn Norwood
Master of Arts in Sport Management is $350 per credit hour
4+1 MASM PROGRAM
The 4 + 1 MASM program was designed for students who demonstrate above-average academic achievement during the first three years of their undergraduate education. Only Wingate University undergraduates are eligible for admission to our MASM 4 + 1 program.
This fast-track master’s program is the right choice for those seeking careers in the sport industry:
- Collegiate and secondary school athletic administration
- Municipal sport programs
- Professional and amateur sport organizations
- Sport governing bodies