Christa Helms Austin Writing Center
About the Writing Center
The Writing Center is a place where all members of the Wingate community can come to write and to talk, think and learn about writing.
Visit the consultants at the Writing Center, located on the second floor of the Ethel K. Smith Library, in the Academic Resource Center. They’ll be glad to help you with your papers for any course from biology to history and everything in between.
We’re here when you need us. Keep this in mind when you’re ready to stop by:
- Drop in for a session or make an appointment through Tutortrac.
- Drop-in hours are Sunday through Thursday from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Online only consultations are Sunday-Monday 6-8pm
Writing Center Hours
The center has staff available to help you from 2 p.m. until 9 p.m., Sunday through Thursday. Online consultations are Sunday-Monday from 6-8pm. Students can also make an appointment.
- Schedule appointments at least one or two days before your paper is due.
- Sessions may be 30 or 60 minutes long.
- We are not an editing service, and consultants cannot “fix” your paper for you. The consultants work with you to help you identify and address problem areas.
- We do not discuss possible grades with you. That’s your professor’s responsibility.
- You’re in charge of revising and editing your paper. We cannot guarantee error-free papers.
Faculty & Staff
- Faculty may schedule a five-minute consultant visit for their class. Please contact us one week before the class.
- Faculty can schedule an appointment with the Writing Center director to discuss topics such as integrating writing exercises in classes, generating effective writing prompts and grading writing assignments.
Alumni & General Public
- Writing Center services are available to our alumni and the local community. All of the above policies apply to our alumni and the public, but please be aware that providing for our students, faculty and staff may take precedence in scheduling.
- We’re happy to prepare and present writing workshops, seminars or visits by our consultants and director for local schools, businesses and organizations on behalf of Wingate University. Please call us at (704) 233-8070 for details.
Dr. Dustin Morris