ABOUT THE WRITING CENTER
Writing is a necessary skill for any major and career you choose, and the Writing Center is an invaluable and free service that’s available to you as a Wingate University student.
Visit the tutors at the Writing Center, located on the second floor of the Ethel K. Smith Library, right next to the Academic Resource Center. They’ll be glad to help you with your papers for any course from biology to history and everything in between.
Writing Center tutors don’t fix papers and won’t write them for you. They’re current students recommended by professors from writing-intensive classes that are trained to help you become a better writer, regardless of your ability level.
We’re here when you need us. Keep this in mind when you’re ready to stop by:
- Drop in for a session or make an appointment by e-mailing the Writing Center.
- Drop-in hours are Monday through Thursday from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Printable, online help is available on a variety of writing issues.
- Review our Policies and Procedures to make the Writing Center work best for you.
- We are not an editing service, and tutors cannot “fix” your paper for you. The tutors work with you to help you identify and address problem areas.
- We do not discuss possible grades with you. That’s your professor’s responsibility.
- You’re in charge of revising and editing your paper. We cannot guarantee error-free papers.
- Professors may schedule in-class workshops regarding content after a consultation with the Writing Center. Contact us at least one week before the desired workshop date.
- Public workshops may be offered through the Writing Center on a variety of topics. Public attendees are required to pay a registration fee, but these are free to students, faculty and staff. Registration is required for all planning to attend.
FACULTY AND STAFF
- All of the above policies and services pertain to faculty, staff and students.
- Faculty may schedule a five-minute tutor visit for their class. Please contact us one week before the class.
- Faculty are asked to forward writing prompts and writing assignments to us so we may address your students’ writing concerns with your requirements in mind.
- Faculty can schedule an appointment with the Writing Center director to discuss topics such as integrating writing exercises in classes, generating effective writing prompts and grading writing assignments.
ALUMNI AND GENERAL PUBLIC
- Writing Center services are available to our alumni and the local community. All of the above policies apply to our alumni and the public, but please be aware that providing for our students, faculty and staff may take precedence in scheduling.
- We’re happy to prepare and present writing workshops, seminars or visits by our tutors and director for local schools, businesses and organizations on behalf of Wingate University. Please call us at 704-233-8070 for details.
Mr. Kevin Winchester
Writing Center Hours
Most students who visit the Writing Center just drop in to work with a tutor. The center has staff available to help you from 2 p.m. until 9 p.m., Sunday through Thursday. Tutors are available to help with your writing issues on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students can also make an appointment.
- Schedule appointments at least one or two days before your paper is due.
- Sessions may be 30 or 60 minutes long.