Counseling Information for Parents
As a parent, you’re in a unique position to see warning signs that your student is struggling. The Wingate University Counseling Services Office is there to help.
Counselors are available to consult with parents Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. We listen to your concerns and discuss available resources. We can also help you identify the best ways to support your student.
Scope of Our Support
We’re obligated to maintain student confidentiality. This means we can’t tell you whether your student has visited us or how they’re doing.
In addition, counselors can’t initiate contact with students. If you think your student would benefit from counseling, please suggest this option to them.
We typically provide short-term help for students facing challenges. If your student needs help beyond the scope of our services, we may make referrals. We might recommend academic support services, the Health Center or outside professionals.
How can you know if your student is struggling? Everyone is different, but take note of these behaviors.
Academic difficulties can include a decline in grades, missed assignments and repeated absences. You might see physical warning signs, such as excessive fatigue, lack of personal hygiene and visible changes in weight.
Emotional indicators include:
•Loss of interest in favorite activities
•Sudden, dramatic change in personality
People who think about harming themselves or others often signal their intentions by:
•Acquiring or asking about acquiring a weapon
•Giving away possessions
•Isolating themselves from friends and family
•Verbal cues threatening suicide or harm to others
Take these signs seriously. If a situation becomes urgent and you think your student or others are in danger, call Campus Safety. The phone number is 704-233-8999. You can also reach After Hours Residence Life Assistance at 704-233-8999.
Location and Hours
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In case of an emergency, call 911 or any of the following hotlines listed below:
- Ambulance, Fire and Police: 911
- Campus Safety: 704-233-8999
- CMC-Union Hospital: 704-283-3100
- Residence Life After Hours: 704-233-8000
- Wingate University Counseling Office: 704-233- 8979
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE or 800-799-7233
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Questioning Youth Hotline: 866-4-U-TREVOR or 866-488-7386
- Carolinas Poison Center: 1-800-222-1222
- Cutting/Self-injury Hotline: 800-DON’T-CUT or 800-366-8288
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 800-273-TALK
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-HOPE (4673)
- Title IX Coordinator (sexual misconduct): 704-233-8247
- Turning Point Hotline: 704-283-7233
- Union County Rape Crisis Hotline: 704-283-7770