Health Insurance Requirements
Access to health care and adequate health insurance are essential to students’ health and their ability to achieve their goals at Wingate University. Wingate requires all full-time students and all health science students (regardless of status) to maintain adequate, quality medical insurance.
To fulfill this requirement, students must either demonstrate that they are enrolled in a health insurance plan that meets or exceeds University standards for adequate insurance or enroll in the Wingate sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan provided by BCBS by the first day of each class each semester.
Which Wingate students are required to have health insurance?
New and returning students taking 12 or more credit hours
All Health Science majors (regardless of credit hours)
All athletes (regardless of credit hours)
All international students (regardless of credit hours)
Health Center to begin filing insurance
The Wingate University Health Center will add insurance-filing to its list of services beginning with the fall 2020 semester as the center becomes an in-network provider with these companies:
- Wingate University Student Health Insurance Plan provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield (Student Blue)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield commercial plans (except for Blue Value and Blue Local)
- United Health Care
What students need to know regarding insurance filing
- Bring your insurance card and your Wingate ID any time you come to the Health Center.
- No fees will be collected at the center. Costs (including co-pays) will be billed to your student account.
- Charges will be applied to the insurance’s plan’s deductible; families familiar with their insurance plan will know what to expect regarding co-pays.
- Families will receive an explanation of benefits showing the reason for the Health Center visit and how charges were applied.
- No student will be turned away from the Health Center for inability to pay.
For more information, return to the main Health Center page.
Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
Students can either WAIVE or they must ENROLL in Wingate University’s health insurance plan EACH semester during the open enrollment period to avoid being charged. Failure to waive out of the plan by the first day of class each semester will result in a nonrefundable insurance charge on your student account. The cost of the insurance is $1,246/semester (or $2,492/year).
*Note:The BCBS plan through Wingate is not available to students taking less than 12 credit hours.
International Student Requirement
Wingate University and the federal government require that international students have a health insurance plan for the duration of their studies. Wingate University requires all international students to be enrolled in a policy from the United States. You may only request a waiver from the university-sponsored health insuranceif you have another US policy. Your home country insurance will not be accepted by the University, even if it says it will cover you abroad. Please contact the Health Center if you have questions about insurance.
Comparable health plans...
- Must be a policy from the United States
- Must be a full health policy (not accident only) and provides both emergency and non-emergency benefits, including mental health, in North Carolina
- Must be a minimum total benefit/coverage of $100,000 (USD) per accident or illness
- Must be currently active and covers the student for the duration of the current semester
- Must be with an insurance carrier that is based in the United States
- Covers within a 25-mile radius of Wingate University in Wingate, North Carolina
Athlete additional requirement listed with comparable coverage section for both domestic and international students:
- Must be a minimum of $15,000 intercollegiate athletic injury coverage