Health Insurance Requirements
Access to health care and adequate health insurance are essential to students’ health and their ability to achieve their goals at Wingate University. Wingate requires all full-time students to maintain adequate, quality medical insurance. Wingate also requires all Health Science students, athletes and international students (regardless of credit hours) to have health insurance.
To fulfill this requirement, students must either demonstrate that they are enrolled in a health insurance plan that meets or exceeds University standards for adequate insurance or enroll in the Wingate sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan provided by Aetna by the first day of each class each semester.
Which Wingate students are required to have health insurance?
New and returning students taking 12 or more credit hours
All Health Science majors (regardless of credit hours)
All athletes (regardless of credit hours)
All international students (regardless of credit hours)
Health Center will file insurance
The Wingate University Health Center is an in-network provider with these companies:
- Wingate University Student Health Insurance Plan provided by Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield commercial plans (except for Blue Value, Blue Local and Blue Home)
- United Health Care
- Medicaid coming soon
What students need to know regarding insurance filing
- Bring your insurance card and your Wingate ID any time you come to the Health Center.
- No fees will be collected at the center. Costs (including co-pays) will be billed to your student account.
- Charges will be applied to the insurance’s plan’s deductible; families familiar with their insurance plan will know what to expect regarding co-pays.
- Families will receive an explanation of benefits from their insurance company showing the reason for the Health Center visit and how charges were applied.
- No student will be turned away from the Health Center for inability to pay.
For more information, return to the main Health Center page.
Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
All students are automatically enrolled in Wingate University’s health insurance plan. If you DO NOT NEED university health insurance, you MUST WAIVE this insurance on the Aetna website by the first day of class. (Select enroll/waive on the website, enter your student ID and date of birth and select waive.) If you waive the insurance during the open enrollment period in the fall, you will be waived for the entire year. If you need insurance in the spring, then before the spring deadline you will need to void your waiver and enroll. Failure to waive out of the plan by the first day of class will result in a nonrefundable insurance charge on your student account. The cost of the insurance is $1,273.50/semester (or $2,547/year).
*NOTE: THE AETNA PLAN THROUGH WINGATE IS NOT AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS TAKING LESS THAN 12 CREDIT HOURS, UNLESS YOU ARE A HEALTH SCIENCE STUDENT, ATHLETE OR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT IN WHICH CASE YOU ARE REQUIRED TO WAIVE OR ENROLL. STUDENTS WHO ARE SOLELY ONLINE ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SHOW PROOF OF INSURANCE.
International Student Requirement
Wingate University and the federal government require that international students have a health insurance plan for the duration of their studies. Wingate University requires all international students to be enrolled in a policy from the United States. You may only request a waiver from the university-sponsored health insurance if you have another US policy. Your home country insurance will not be accepted by the University, even if it says it will cover you abroad. Please contact the Health Center if you have questions about insurance.
Comparable health plans...
- Must be a policy from the United States
- Must be a full health policy (not accident only) and provides both emergency and non-emergency benefits, including mental health, in North Carolina
- Must be a minimum total benefit/coverage of $100,000 (USD) per accident or illness
- Must be currently active and covers the student for the duration of the current semester
- Covers within a 25-mile radius of Wingate University in Wingate, North Carolina
- Cannot be a short-term or travel policy
- Cannot be an international plan