Welcome to a new year at Wingate, commuters. We look forward to your arrival on campus. Before you get here, we need you to take care of business.

tall black lamp posts line a large paved path on campus, with banners reading "Major in a Great Life"We’re eager to welcome you to Wingate University or welcome you back as a commuter. But before you get here, we want to make sure all your ducks are in a row before classes get into full swing.

You’ll need to take the following steps:
1. Check your financial aid statement via myGate.

  • Log in to myGate and click on WinLINK. You’ll need your student network log-in info here.
  • Click the “Financial” tab and then the “Statement” heading. You should see all of your anticipated financial aid and an anticipated balance. FYI: The information is anticipated because financial aid and loans can’t be posted to your account until seven days before the first day of classes.
  • For up-to-the-minute changes, click on the “Balance” tab.

You should see one of three things: An anticipated credit, a remaining balance or a zero balance. Here’s how to handle each:

  • Anticipated credit: You need to determine how you and your family want to use these funds. One option is to transfer the credit to your Student ID card. Once that’s done, you can use the funds at the student bookstore or in the dining facilities. To transfer your credit to your ID card, fill out the Money Transfer Request and submit it to the Business Office or bring it to Financial Check-In.

You can also request a refund using the Refund Request Form. That also needs to be submitted to the Business Office, or you can bring it to Financial Check-In. Any excess funds from a Parent PLUS Loan must be sent to your parents. Parents, if you want your student to receive the refund, you’ll need to authorize it in writing.

  • Remaining balance: If you have a remaining balance, the first thing you need to do is make sure the Office of Student Financial Planning has received all your materials. You can check the status of your documents by clicking on the “Financial Aid” heading. If anything is marked “Not Received,” send it to the Office of Student Financial Planning as soon as possible.

If we do have everything, steps need to be taken to resolve the balance before you arrive on campus. You can do the following:

  • Contact the Office of Student Financial Planning to apply for additional student and/or parent loans (if eligible). You can call 704–233–8209.
  • Make a payment via cash, check, credit or debit card (Sorry, no AMEX). We do take phone payments at 704–233–8211.
  • Set up a payment plan by contacting Ms. Lora Gibson at 704–233–8212.
  • Zero balance: Congratulations! You’re ready to check-in.

2. Complete the mandatory health forms by logging into our patient portal (new students only).
3. Register your vehicle with the Office of Campus Safety.

And that’s it. We look forward to seeing you at Wingate University and at the commuter financial check-in and commuter student meeting.

Have Questions?

The staff of the Office of Student Financial Planning is ready to help you begin your career as a Bulldog.