Financial aid starts with the FAFSA.
To apply for financial aid, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as the FAFSA. The application is available beginning October 1, and we recommend that you complete it by March 1.
These seven pointers will help you avoid delays:
- Know your school code: When completing the FAFSA, you must enter school codes for the specific colleges and universities you want to attend. Wingate University’s code is 002985.
- Complete FAFSA even if you’re unsure that you qualify. Not sure if you are eligible for financial aid? That’s okay. We recommend that you complete the application for your first year regardless. After you see how much federal, state and institutional financial aid you’re eligible to receive, you can decide if you want to complete it in following years.
- Know when to expect an update. We’ll mail your financial aid award package approximately four weeks after you submit the FAFSA and have been accepted into Wingate University. Award packages are issued on a rolling basis beginning in February.
- Understand your award letter: Your award package outlines all of the financial aid for which you qualify, including academic scholarships, need-based grants, federal loans and work-study opportunities.
- What is verification? The Department of Education or Wingate University may select your FAFSA submission for the verification process. If you’re selected for verification, we’ll let you know if you need to provide additional information or documents to finalize your award package.
- Be sure to meet deadlines. You must provide all information to us by the deadline to ensure your scholarship and grant funds are ready when you arrive in the fall.
- Check your email. Important reminders, financial aid deadlines, and status updates are provided via email. Be sure to check your inbox often for updates from Wingate.
If you have questions about how to apply for financial aid, you can always contact your enrollment officer at 800-755-5550.