Long-term, low-interest graduate student loans? The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS program is on your side.
Have a strong credit history but need a little help paying for your graduate degree? The Graduate PLUS loan might be a good fit for you.
The maximum for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is the cost of education minus any other aid received.
How to Get Graduate Student Loans
- If you’re planning to use a PLUS loan, you should apply at least three weeks before the semester payment is due.
- PLUS loan applicants are subject to a credit check. You must obtain a pre-approval. An adverse credit history may negatively impact your ability to receive a PLUS Loan. You might need a co-borrower.
- The maximum eligible amount is listed on your financial aid award letter.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
What You Need
Like every loan program, you need to complete specific documents to apply:
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Pre-Approval
- Graduate PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note
Visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information about how to secure a student loan.