Are you a North Carolina resident? You might be eligible for additional student financial aid from the state.
The Forgivable Education Loans for Service program was established to provide financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. You can find eligible degree programs for the 2016-2017 academic year on the College Foundation of North Carolina’s FELS page.
FELS Means Great Value
As the name says, FELS offers loans, but you can have the loan forgiven if you follow the rules and obligations of the program you choose. As a result, you can consider it a scholarship instead. The FELS loans or scholarships have different amounts, depending on the program you choose.
Annual loan amounts are as follows:
- Certificate or associate degree programs: $3,000
- Bachelor’s degree programs: freshmen and sophomores $3,000
- Bachelor’s degree programs: junior and senior: $7,000
- Master’s degree programs: $10,000
- Graduate certificate programs: $10,000
- Doctoral degree programs: $14,000
Maximum aggregate loan limits include the following:
- Certificate and/or associate degree programs: $6,000
- Bachelor’s degree programs: $20,000
- Master’s degree programs: $20,000
- Graduate certificate programs: $20,000
- Doctoral degree programs: $56,000
Are You Eligible?
You must be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes to be eligible for the FELS program. You must also be willing to work in North Carolina in a designated critical employment shortage profession and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
In addition, you must also meet these eligibility requirements:
- You must register with the Selective Service System, if required.
- You must not be in default or owe a refund under any federal or state loan or grant program
- At the time of application, You must present a cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of:
- 3.00 for graduating high school students (weighted GPA)
- 2.80 for undergraduate students pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree
- 3.20 for students pursuing a graduate or professional degree
Stay Up to Date
Email is the official form of communication between the FELS Program and you. If you choose to apply for the program, keep your contact information up to date on the SEAA Student Portal. Visit the FELS page to apply online or to obtain more information about the FELS program.