Why have I been selected for verification?

Anyone who completes the FAFSA can be selected. This process is used to ensure the information provided on the FAFSA and is complete and accurate so your financial aid can processed.

When do I submit verification documents?

You should submit a verification worksheet (and supporting documents) within 30 days of receiving your notification email. Make sure you include your first and last name and your student ID number on each document.

How do I get a copy of my IRS tax return transcript?

There are three ways to get your tax return transcripts:

  1. By phone: Call the IRS Tax Transcript Center at 800–908–9946. Your paper transcript should be mailed in 5–10 business days.
  2. Online: Go to the IRS website. Select “Get Transcript Online.” Request your tax return transcript for the year in question. You should be able to immediately view and print your transcript.
  3. Via Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript (Form 4506T-EZ): Download the form. Don’t complete Section 5 (Release to Third Party); you want the transcript mailed directly to you. Mail or fax your request to the office specified on the second page of the form. Your paper transcript should be mailed in 5–10 business days.

I didn’t file a tax return for the year in question; What do I do now?

You are still required to complete the verification worksheet. You’ll need to attest to the fact that you didn’t file and/or won’t be filing a Federal Tax Return for the year in question and that it wasn’t necessary for you to do so. You’ll also need to submit any additional documents that have been requested, such as copies of all of your W-2 forms from employers.

How do I submit my forms once they’re completed?

You have three options for submitting your forms:

  1. By mail: Office of Student Financial Planning PO Box 159 Wingate, NC 28174-0159
  2. Via email: Communications sent via email must be encrypted.  Click here for detailed encryption instructions.
  3. By fax: 704–233–9396.