If you have questions about your education benefits, we’re here to answer them.

How do I apply for VA benefits?

You, the veteran, must submit the application through the Department of Veteran Affairs website.

What documentation does Wingate University need?

We need the following:

  • A copy of the online application you submitted to the Department of Veteran Affairs
  • A copy of your DD214 or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility for Selected Reserve or REAP)
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Transcripts from all schools attended, including high school, for undergraduate and graduate students

How soon will I receive my benefits?

The Certifying Official submits your enrollment certification to the Regional Processing Office (RPO) in Atlanta. Approximately 8–10 weeks later, you begin to receive benefits.

How do I continue to get paid each semester?

The Certifying Official checks your enrollment at the beginning of each semester. Then he or she submits the enrollment certification to the RPO.

Will the payments come directly to me?

Payment is made directly to students using CH 30, 1606, 1607 and 35. Students using post-9/11 benefits receive a monthly housing allowance. Tuition and fees are sent directly to Wingate University. You can compare programs by using the GI Bill Comparison Tool.

Who is considered a veteran?

For federal student aid purposes, a veteran:

  • Is a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Served on active duty other than for training purposes
  • Was discharged other than dishonorably

What is Veterans Affairs (VA)?

The VA is the federal agency that administers and manages veteran benefits. These include education, healthcare and financial assistance for veterans and their dependents. You can contact the VA online or call toll-free at 888-GIBILL-1. The CPS conducts a match of FAFSA data against this agency’s database to confirm the student’s veteran status. If you have more questions, we’re happy to meet with you in person.