Confidentiality matters to you and to us.
We value your privacy. What you reveal in counseling during your sessions with your counselor at Wingate University stays confidential. But there are a few, crucial exceptions. Information you share will not be released without your permission, except:
- In your counselor’s opinion, you present direct and foreseeable harm to yourself or others.
- We are ordered by a court of law to release information.
- You disclose actual or possible child abuse or neglect.
Further exceptions may apply if:
- You are 17 years old or younger.
- You have been referred to counseling as part of a university disciplinary or administrative matter.
If either of these further exceptions are true, your counselor will discuss confidentiality restrictions with you.
Don’t be shy. Ask your counselor about confidentiality. It will set your mind at ease.