All Wingate University students must submit documented proof of immunizations to The Health Center. It is required by North Carolina state law. If you’re not compliant within 30 days of the first day of class you’ll be required to withdraw from classes.
Who’s exempt from immunization requirements? Students taking online courses, off-campus courses, evening courses (after 5pm) or no more than four daytime credit hours.
The minimum immunization requirements for a student in a North Carolina college or university are as follows:
- Tetanus Series (Td, DPT, Tdap)
Three doses. One must have been within the past 10 years. Those individuals enrolling in college or university for the first time on or after July 1, 2008 must have had three doses of tetanus / diphtheria toxoid and a booster dose of tetanus / diphtheria / pertussis vaccine if a tetanus / diphtheria toxoid or tetanus / diphtheria / pertussis vaccine has not been administered within the past 10 years.
- MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella)
Two doses (given on or after first birthday)
- Or documented positive IgG titers to Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, Rubella
- Hepatitis B
Three doses. Hepatitis B vaccine is not required if:
- You were born before July 1, 1994 AND
- You are not enrolled as a Health Science major.
- Meningitis (required for students living on Wingate campus)
- One dose within the last five (5) years (given on or after 16 years of age)
- If you are 18 years old, you are not required to receive the polio vaccine.
- TB Skin Test (PPD)
- One within the last 12 months
- Health Science students must have a 2-step process
- Required for all students in health-related programs.
Required or Recommended
North Carolina law requires students attending colleges or universities to receive certain vaccines. You should also have the immunizations recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That way, you’re fully protected from vaccine-preventable diseases. Recommended vaccines include flu, Hepatitis A, and HPV.
These immunizations and all other medical requirements are due by July 1 for Fall admission and January 1 for Spring admission. Immunization records that remain incomplete following 30 days of enrollment will result in dismissal from class until immunization requirements are met.
Please let us know if you have questions about North Carolina immunization requirements. You can visit us in the Clubhouse or e-mail The Health Center.