What do you need to bring to college? Start here.
You’re relocating to a new place and you want to be prepared. Whether you can carry all you own in a backpack or you need a caravan, the basics apply to everyone.
Thankfully, we’ve put together the following information to help you think through everything you’ll need for life at Wingate University.
First Things First. Let’s Talk About Your Room.
Each room is equipped with two bunkable standard twin beds and two mattresses. You’ll also find the following in your room:
- One dresser with four drawers
- One sink (Sinks aren’t included in Alumni Hall rooms)
- Two desks and desk chairs
- Two built-in closets
The furniture that comes in your room can’t be removed. And sometimes it’s necessary to place an extra person in a room. If this happens, extra beds, dressers and desks will be added to the room, depending on the space.
The Bare Necessities For On-Campus Living
Wingate University is your home now, and we want to be sure you have all the comforts you need. Here are some items you should think about packing:
- Clothes and undergarments
- Different types of shoes, such as sneakers and flip-flops
- Typical school supplies
- Hair dryer or flat iron
- Personal toiletries
- Shower caddy and shower shoes
- Basic cleaning supplies
- Basic cooking supplies (There is a community kitchen in Cannon.)
- Dry-erase board or cork board
- Flashlight with batteries
- Tape and tacky putty for hanging pictures and decorations
- Trash can and trash bags
- Alarm clock
- Computer (You’ll need an Ethernet card.)
- Iron with automatic shutoff and a small ironing board
- Microwave that’s smaller than one cubic foot
- Mini-refrigerator that’s smaller than four cubic feet
- MP3 player, stereo or CD player
- Phone or cellphone and charger
- Simple tools such as screwdrivers and pliers
- Storage containers for clothes and personal items
- Surge protector (Your surge protector must have a breaker.)
- Television and DVD player
Linens and the Like
- Bath and beach towels
- Closet curtains if you’re on Cannon floors 1-3, Helms or the Alumni Hall
- Comforter or bedspread
- Egg crate mattress topper
- Laundry basket and detergent
- Pillows and pillowcases
- Standard twin sheet (Sorry, Wingate University doesn’t have extra long beds.)
A Few Other Things to Bring
- Change for vending machines
- Health insurance information
- Renter’s insurance is recommended
And a Few Rules to Remember.
Wingate University is a tobacco-free environment. Additionally, due to fire codes the following items are not permitted in on-campus facilities:
- Candles (Even decorative candles are not allowed.)
- Halogen lamps
- Sun lamps
- Toaster ovens
Your Computer Needs and Forgotten Items.
If you’ve got questions about your computer needs on campus, you’ll want to visit the Computer Specs page to see our recommendations. And don’t worry about forgetting something. You can always ask your parents to bring it with them when they visit for Parents’ Weekend!