Just what is academic advising at Wingate University? It’s all about support and guidance. Check it out.

Who will my academic advisor be?

All students are assigned an individualized Care Team, comprised of a faculty advisor and a career advisor, through Wingate University’s Center of Vocation, Internship and Career Services (CVIS).

I’m a pre-pharmacy major. Who is my academic advisor?

You are assigned a designated faculty advisor who has experience working with pre-pharmacy students and understands the demanding academic courses in our science departments.

I’m a music major. Who is my academic advisor?

You are assigned a designated music faculty advisor within the Department of Music.

I’m thinking about changing my major or minor. Whom should I talk to?

First, talk to your faculty advisor and a faculty member who teaches in the program you’re interested in pursuing. You may also want to talk to your Care Team member in the CVIS or the Office of Academic Advising.

How do I change my major, minor or advisor?

First talk to someone in your Care Team, such as your faculty or career advisor from the CVIS or your Gateway instructor. Then, complete the form located in the myGate portal under the Academic Advising tab. If you still have questions, contact the Office of Academic Advising.

What is the university core curriculum?

The university core curriculum is built around the skills you need to thrive as a well-rounded member of today’s workforce. In addition to learning the skills you need in your career, you’ll acquire strong writing skills and a respect for diversity. The details of the core curriculum can be found in the Academic Catalog and online on the core curriculum page. All core curriculum requirements must be completed before graduation.

Can any courses in my major also fulfill the university core requirements?

Yes, sometimes these courses can overlap. Your advisor will tell you which ones do.

What is a minor? Can minor courses apply to my major?

A minor is a concentration of classes (usually 18 credit hours) that works with your major. You don’t have to declare a minor. You can apply a maximum of two classes to your minor and major. There are a few exceptions, and you’ll find them in the Academic Catalog, which also lists the courses you need to complete your specific minor. To declare your minor, complete the form located on myGate under the Academic Advising tab.

I transferred courses or an AP credit to Wingate University. How do I make sure I get credit for these?

Your transferred courses and AP credits should show up on your unofficial transcript. You can find this within your WinLINK Self-Service account. For transfer credits, you’ll receive a transfer credit evaluation from the Office of the Registrar. That office is on the 2nd floor of the Stegall Administration Building.

How do I know which math courses are needed to satisfy the core curriculum and major requirements?

Math requirements vary by major, and sometimes major requirements fulfill the core curriculum. Math 115 is the minimum math class that applies to the core. To make sure you’re completing the right courses, review your major degree checklist and talk to your advisor.

Which lab sciences can non-science majors take?

Certain majors require a specific lab science. Review your major degree checklist and talk to your advisor. If you don’t have to take a specific lab science, you can fulfill the core curriculum lab science requirement with:

  • BIO 107: Plants and People
  • BIO 115: Environmental Biology
  • BIO 120: Human Biology
  • BIO 140: Human Genetics
  • CHEM 100: Fundamentals of Chemistry
  • CHEM 120: Chemistry and Society
  • PHYS 120: Introduction to Astronomy
  • SCI 101: Earth Science
  • SCI 201: General Science I
  • SCI 202: General Science II

SCI 201 and SCI 202 require permission from the School of Education for non-education majors.

When should I take my lab science?

You can take your lab science course(s) in any semester. However, first-year students who aren’t science majors may want to consider waiting until their second semester or year at Wingate University. Athletes should take a lab science in the off season since lab times and practice schedules can conflict.

What’s the difference between “general” and “advanced” classes?

All 100- and 200-level courses are considered general, while 300- and 400-level courses are advanced. To graduate, you must complete 40+ credit hours at the advanced level.

How do W’International or internship credits apply to my graduation requirements?

W’International and internship credits are both considered advanced level, so they count as advanced hours.

Can I take classes at another school during the summer?

Yes, but there are a few steps to take first:

1. Complete the Transient Study Form on myGate.
2. Make sure you have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Wingate University.
3. Obtain permission from the Office of the Registrar before you take courses elsewhere to make sure they’ll transfer in and count towards your degree requirements.

You cannot repeat a class you’ve already completed at Wingate University at another institution. Also, you must take your last 30 hours of courses in residence at Wingate University.

Is foreign language a degree requirement?

Yes, foreign language is a requirement for all degrees and the university core curriculum. For a Bachelor of Science degree, you need elementary foreign language courses (101 and 102). For a Bachelor of Arts degree, you’ll also need intermediate foreign language courses (201 and 202). Foreign language placement testing can allow you to exempt some levels, but no credit hours will be gained. Those credit hours will have to be replaced with electives. If you’re a student who holds the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma from a school in which the primary language of instruction is not English, you’re exempt from this requirement. However, you may still have to replace those hours with elective courses.

Still have questions?

We’re here for you. E-mail Ms. Alexandra Finley for help with any questions you don’t see here.