The Most Frequently Asked Questions about Disability Services at Wingate University

If you have questions about disability services at Wingate University, you’re not alone. Students and their parents usually do. Here are the top 10 questions we’re asked.

What services does Wingate University offer for students with disabilities?

The Office of Disability Student Services works with students, faculty and staff members to provide accommodations that give students equal access to the university’s programs and activities.

What is an accommodation?

An accommodation is a modification in the way things are usually done, with the goal of allowing students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in the university’s programs.

There are two types of accommodations at Wingate University: academic and non-academic.

Academic accommodations are related to learning and evaluation in an academic program or particular class.

Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Extended time for tests
  • Note-taking support
  • Use of a computer for an essay test
  • Use of an interpreter in class

Non-academic accommodations are those related to university activities, jobs, facilities and services not considered academic. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Housing placement
  • Removal of physical barriers
  • Use of an interpreter or other modifications for participation in university activities and services such as university committee meetings and judicial proceedings

Who qualifies for disability services?

Students qualify for disability services if they meet two requirements:

  1. They meet the academic and technical standards required for admission or participation in the university’s educational programs and activities.
  2. They meet any of these requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act definition of a person with a disability:
    1. Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities
    2. Has a record of such impairment
    3. Is regarded as having such impairment

You need to provide supporting documentation to determine eligibility for services and evaluate requests for academic and non-academic accommodations or auxiliary aids and services.

What is supporting documentation?

Documentation is usually a qualified professional’s comprehensive assessment of a student’s disability, along with scores and interpretation. We base our Disability Services General Guidelines on the Association on Higher Education and Disabilities description of quality disability documentation. The documentation should be current and include the following: An evaluation by an appropriate professional that clearly states what the impairment or barrier to access is, the current impact of the impairment on the student’s ability to participate in the university’s educational programs and services and the relationship between the functional limitations and the accommodation(s) requested.

How are accommodations coordinated?

Accommodations and disability-related services are coordinated by the director of Disability Support Services. All requests for academic and non-academic accommodations and related services from both undergraduate and graduate students should be submitted to the director of Disability Support Services.

Is there a deadline to submit an accommodation?

Information may be sent at any time. Because review of documents may take up to four weeks, we encourage you to submit information prior to June 1, 2018, to ensure accommodations are in place by the start of the fall semester. Please submit information prior to November 1, 2018, to ensure accommodations are in place by the start of the spring semester.

Once your information has been received, you will be contacted to arrange a telephone intake interview to discuss accommodations.

Is any testing or assessment provided by Wingate University to determine whether a student has a learning disability or to update current information?

No, but we can make referrals to area psychologists or other appropriate professionals. To facilitate receiving accommodations in a timely manner, the student should check with high school counseling offices for needed updates in documentation to prepare for the transition to college.

Will academic requirements be waived or are course substitutions available?

Students with and without disabilities are expected to meet all academic requirements of their majors. Wingate University does not waive or modify fundamental course or program standards but will make accommodations to ensure equal access. The Office of Disability Support Services will determine appropriate accommodations on a case-by-case basis.

Do students with disabilities have faculty advisers?

Yes. All Wingate University students are assigned faculty advisers. Plus, the director of Disability Support Services can offer assistance with the following:

  • Selecting classes
  • Discussing accommodations
  • Helping students use the many supportive services available
  • Organizing strategies for the semester

Many colleges and universities look to the Association on Higher Education and Disabilities for guidance in developing policies and procedures. The National Parent Center on Transition and Employment offers excellent advice for parents of college students with disabilities. While there are no IEPs in college, this College of New Jersey page explains the differences between the legal rights of students with disabilities in high school and college. You can learn about scholarships and other helpful resources available to students with disabilities. Learn about assistive technology, the many forms of technology available to assist students in enjoying equal access to books and other print sources as well as electronic media.

What are resources for students with disabilities as they and their parents, teachers and counselors plan for the transition from high school to college?

Check out Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education to know your rights and responsibilities. You can also find excellent information on the website for The Association on Higher Education and Disability.

Where is the Office of Disability Services located?

Our office is located in the Academic Resource Center on the second floor of the library.

More Questions?

If you have more questions or need more information, please visit us on the second floor of the library. Or you can e-mail or call Kristin Wharton at 704-233-8366.