We want you to feel at home on campus. If you have a disability, residential accommodations are available.

tall lamp post holding a bulldog banner, while the American flag billows in the background

We want all students, those with and without disabilities, to participate in the residential living and learning experience at Wingate University. It’s a huge part of being a Bulldog.

If you have a need for specific housing accommodations, you need to submit documentation showing a clear relationship to the requested accommodation and your disability. This is the documentation required with your request:

  • Comprehensive diagnostic information about your condition
  • A clear description of the desired housing accommodation or configuration
  • An explanation of how the request directly relates to the impact and functional limitations of your disability
  • An indication of the level of need for the requested accommodation and the potential consequences of not receiving this accommodation
  • Possible alternative solutions if the desired configuration and/or accommodation is not possible

Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. This means it is in your best interest to apply for a residential accommodation in a timely manner because a request may require consultation with relevant professionals and campus officials. You will be notified by letter of the approval or denial of your request.

If your accommodation request is approved, it is your responsibility to present the letter to the Residence Life staff and to make specific arrangements regarding your housing assignment.

If your request is denied or you disagree with the determination of the accommodation, you may appeal through either option in the Disability Grievance Procedure.

Factors of Consideration

The following are examples of the factors taken into consideration when this office evaluates housing accommodation requests:

  1. Is the impact of the condition life-threatening if the request is not granted?
  2. Is there a negative health impact that may be permanent if the request is not granted?
  3. Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan for the student’s condition?
  4. What is the likely impact on the student’s academic performance if the request is not granted?
  5. What is the likely impact on the student’s social development if the request is not granted?
  6. What is the likely impact on the student’s comfort level if the request is not granted?
  7. Was the request made with the student’s initial housing request?
  8. Was the request made before the housing request deadline for the year in question?
  9. Was the request made as soon as possible after the need was identified? This includes date of diagnosis, receipt of housing assignment and any change in status.
  10. Is space available that meets the student’s needs, and what is the impact on housing commitments to other students?
  11. Can space be adapted to provide the requested configuration without creating a safety hazard? This includes consideration of emergency egress, electrical load and other factors.
  12. Are there other effective methods that could achieve similar benefits as the requested accommodation?

All accommodations related to residential living are approved for one academic year, unless specifically noted.

Requests to break a housing contract, change rooms or change a meal plan due to a disability need to follow the established procedures of the Residence Life Office and must be clearly supported by the documentation submitted by your medical professional.

All accommodation requests and the supporting documentation should be sent to Director of the Academic Resource Center and Student Success Office Kristin Wharton. Call or drop by the office to meet with her if you have any questions.