Cost-effective computer solutions are available.
There are free software programs that protect your computer and your data.
Antivirus programs look for viruses that infect your computer from the network or devices such as flash drives. They also scan your hard drive to check if it has been exploited. To detect new problems, antivirus programs must constantly update their catalog of viruses. Many programs let you run daily or weekly scans to check for viruses. To guard against and fight viruses, we recommend installing one of these free software programs:
- AVG blocks viruses, scans social media links and checks e-mail attachments. Avast provides security for Mac computers.
- Avira protects against viruses, phishing and malware. The free package includes data syncing.
- Microsoft Security Essentials guards your PC.
- Windows Defender protects your computer from spyware and other unwanted software.
Anti-Spyware, Malware and Ad-ware
Malware provides a way for people or businesses to access your computer without your permission. Spyware tracks your online activity and reports the results to businesses for targeted marketing. Adware opens advertisements in new windows and can follow your browsing history. Along with sharing private information, these three can slow your computer down. We recommend installing one of these free programs to protect your devices:
- AdwareMedic, for MAC only, removes all known adware.
- Adwcleaner guards against adware and other potentially undesirable programs.
- Ccleaner has a free download version of the award-wining program.
- Malwarebytes offers a free 14-day trial. In addition to detecting spyware and malware, it protects you against hacking.
- Spybot Search and Destroy protects from malware. The paid upgrade includes anti-virus features.
- SUPERAntiSpyware provides a free edition of the software for PCs.
Office Productivity Suites
Many office suites are free and open source. These suites often embed several applications into the package such as a word processor, calculator, spreadsheets, presentation engine, drawing tools, flowcharting tool and a database engine. If you’re able to purchase and install Microsoft Office, we recommend installing one of these free programs:
- Apache OpenOffice is a free office suite compatible with common software programs.
- LibreOffice includes word processing, calculating, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing programs.
If you have any questions about these software programs, stop by the IT Help Desk on the second floor of the Ethel K. Smith Library.