This summer, practice your Spanish speaking skills and receive academic credit while you enjoy Costa Rica, one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
A language immersion program can put you well on your way to understanding and being understood in Spanish. Conversing with locals on the ground in Costa Rica means you also get the opportunity to experience other aspects of the culture too.
The three-week program, part of Spanish 103, 107, 207 or 307, takes place in late May and early June. You receive six hours of Spanish 103 credit if you are enrolled in the spring 2016 class. You receive three hours of Spanish 107, 207 or 307 credit if you qualify and are approved by the Department of English and Modern Languages.In Costa Rica, classes take place at Intercultura Language School. You’re grouped by your Spanish-speaking ability into small, personalized classes that meet for four hours a day.Outside of class, you can make the most of your time in Heredia, a small town near the capital city of San Jose. It’s a convenient location for exploring the country’s natural treasures such as:
- Delicious fruits
- Hundreds of species of tropical birds
- Impressive volcanoes
- Lush rain forests
- Luxurious hot springs
Eligibility and Costs
To be considered for the program, you must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be in good disciplinary standing at Wingate University. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you also need a U.S. passport. If you’re a citizen of another country, check with the Costa Rican embassy for possible visa requirements.
Tuition and fees ($3,450 in 2017) for the program includes:
- Airfare (round trip) from Charlotte
- Airport departure tax and transfers
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Classes at Intercultura Language School
- Conversation partners
- Cooking classes
- 3 full-weekend excursions to hot springs, beaches, and Manuel Antonio
- Dance lessons
- Home stay with a Costa Rican family
- Internet access
- Language lab access
Other estimated costs:
- Baggage fees
- International Health Insurance ($43.50)
- Lunch ($5/day)
- Passport costs (about $165)
- Reduced Summer Wingate Tuition for 3 Spanish credits ($420)
- Spending money for shopping or other extra excursions and activities, and tips for excursion guides
Please note that these rates are based on current prices and may change closer to departure date.
Ready to Go?