Transfer students: Getting credit for credits earned is part of our philosophy.

At Wingate University, we enthusiastically welcome transfer students. But with the move from one school to another, it’s understandable that you’ll have questions about transferring your college credits. We encourage you to review the general policies below and visit the linked pages, where we offer more detailed information.

Transferring Credits

These are our guidelines for transferring college credits:

  • A maximum of 90 semester hours will be accepted from a four-year institution.
  • Courses completed at accredited colleges and universities are accepted at full value for courses passed with a “C” or higher.
  • The maximum number of course hours that may transfer from a two-year institution is 64 semester hours.
  • The Registrar, consulting with the appropriate department chair(s), evaluates coursework to determine equivalency.
  • These courses must be comparable to our curriculum.

Transfer Evaluation

To complete a transfer evaluation, provide official transcript copies from previous colleges and universities to the Office of Admissions. Send your official academic records or test scores to the Office of Admissions before enrolling at Wingate University.

Other Colleges and Universities

We evaluate credit earned from regionally accredited universities on a course-by-course basis for equivalency with Wingate University courses. We evaluate credit earned at regionally non-accredited colleges and universities on a course-by-course basis by individual departments.

North Carolina Community Colleges (NCCC)

Please see our guidelines about transferring course credits on the North Carolina Community Colleges guidelines page.

AP Credit

Please see our guidelines about how we accept AP credits for incoming students.

CLEP Credit

If you have College Level Examination Programs credits, you should review our CLEP credits acceptance page.


Students who have earned DANTES or DSST credits through Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) are invited to review our policy about the specific equivalents as determined by individual departments.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Individual departments may consider accepting IB credit if the student earns a minimum score of 5 on a higher-level examination. A copy of the syllabus for each subject passed at this level must be submitted to the appropriate department. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you have questions about transferring your college credits to a Wingate University degree program.