If you’re curious about the Writing Center, we’ve created policies and procedures to help you become a better writer.
If you’re a current Wingate University student, employee or alumnus, the Writing Center offers the following resources to help you become a stronger, more confident writer:
- Consultations (for faculty)
- Critique services
- Online self-help PDFs
- Tutoring sessions for all classes
These services are free, but please be aware of the following policies so that you can glean the greatest benefit from our services.
Appointments and Drop-In Sessions
Most students prefer drop-in sessions. Tutors are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sessions are held Sunday–Thursday from 2pm to 9pm. Sessions may be 30 or 60 minutes long. Keep in mind:
- Arrive a few minutes before your session so that you can check in.
- Bring your assignment or writing prompt to your session.
Students can also make an appointment.
- Schedule appointments at least one or two days before your paper is due.
- Sessions may be 30 or 60 minutes long.
- We are not an editing service, and tutors cannot “fix” your paper for you. The tutors work with you to help you identify and address problem areas.
- We do not discuss possible grades with you. That’s your professor’s responsibility.
- You’re in charge of revising and editing your paper. We cannot guarantee error-free papers.
- Professors may schedule in-class workshops regarding content after a consultation with the Writing Center. Contact us at least one week before the desired workshop date.
- Public workshops may be offered through the Writing Center on a variety of topics. Public attendees are required to pay a registration fee, but these are free to students, faculty and staff. Registration is required for all planning to attend.
Faculty and Staff
- All of the above policies and services pertain to faculty, staff and students.
- Faculty may schedule a five-minute tutor visit for their class. Please contact us one week before the class.
- Faculty are asked to forward writing prompts and writing assignments to us so we may address your students’ writing concerns with your requirements in mind.
- Faculty can schedule an appointment with the Writing Center director to discuss topics such as integrating writing exercises in classes, generating effective writing prompts and grading writing assignments.
Alumni and the General Public
- Writing Center services are available to our alumni and the local community. All of the above policies apply to our alumni and the public, but please be aware that providing for our students, faculty and staff may take precedence in scheduling.
- We’re happy to prepare and present writing workshops, seminars or visits by our tutors and director for local schools, businesses and organizations on behalf of Wingate University. Please call us at 704-233-8070 for details.
For questions about these policies, contact the director of the Writing Center, Kevin Winchester.