Planning a career starts with self-assessment and exploring possibilities. Our tools help students find a great professional fit.
Selecting a course of study is a serious undertaking. Career resources at Wingate University help your student follow their interests and choose a major. It’s important to offer support and feedback along the way.
Steps for Career Research
As a parent, it’s natural for you to want to help them pursue a fulfilling career. Here are five ways to assist them.
- Encourage your student to become involved outside the classroom (while still maintaining a solid GPA). The skills gained through campus organizations also apply in the working world.
- Encourage your student to take Focus2, our online assessment to identify strengths and interests.
- Support your student in volunteering or finding internships or apprenticeships to gain networking opportunities and skills for a résumé. Don’t forget to plumb your professional and social network, too. But, teach your student to do the work themselves; employers want students who take initiative.
- Use CareerGate-Powered by Purple Briefcase, our online job/internship database that allows your student to upload a résumé for off-campus positions.
- Urge them to visit our Career Resource Center and attend career fairs to get a feel for the job market and application process.
Career Planning Tools
For more information about careers, these resources can help you help your student.