No parents want their students to struggle with substance abuse. Here’s a guide to drug and alcohol awareness for parents.

two people walk underneath a large tree on the campus quad, their shadows on the pavement behind them

Tackling the subject of substance use and abuse isn’t easy. Break the ice with your student before you’re even concerned.

Take action now if your student shows signs of the following changes; don’t hesitate to advance the conversation if you see or hear about:

  • Behavioral changes such as stealing, lying or isolation from friends
  • Change in sleeping habits
  • Noticeable weight change
  • Rapid mood swings

Know the Facts

According to the Underage Drinking Enforcement Training Center, underage drinkers (ages 12 to 20) consume 11% of the alcohol purchased in America, 90% of it in the form of binge drinking. Alcohol is also the most frequently abused drug on college campuses. Four out of five college students consume it.

Other substances used or abused on campuses include:

  • Adderall: Known as the “study drug,” this stimulant is used by students under pressure to meet college expectations.
  • Ecstasy: Popular in the 90s, this “party drug” has resurfaced in its pure form, known as MDMA or molly.
  • Marijuana: Legalization of marijuana in certain states has made it more accessible. On certain campuses, marijuana use outpaces alcohol consumption.
  • Prescription pain medications, diet pills and cold medicine

Get Help for Your Student

Your student may want to make the first move in addressing a problem. The Addiction Center’s website offers a 24/7 helpline and resources.

Get the Help You Need

As a Wingate University parent, you’re not alone in wanting the best for your student, especially when health issues are at stake. Our Office of Counseling Services and the Health Center to build a confidential network of support for your student.

The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids also offers a free helpline for parents. They also curate a free 20-minute guide to helping your student confront substance issues. Or you can call them at 1-855-378-4373 for more information.